Spalted Beech

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hornbeam

Established Member
Reaction score
I have aquired some lovely spalted beech. The problem is it is too spalted so while some of it is still almost as hard as plain beech other parts are extremely soft and mushy. I am struggling to get a good finish and prevent tearout on the softer parts even though my tools are sharp. Any suggestions on best way to finish to reduce this and what finish is best to improve durability/strengthen the soft parts
Thanks Ian

Soak thoroughly in diluted Sanding sealer (Cellulose will be quickest) or Thin CA (more expensive) if it's a small area.

To help with finishing final surface, sometimes a wet sanding with sanding sealer will fill the remaining pores and form a glazed surface. (wrecks the abrasive though)

I use sander sealer. turn to rough shape before applying that way you don't waste too much then give it a good soak and leave so the sealer that has soaked in gets chance to harden as the surface will feel dry. If you find that you go right through the sealer then reapply. The same will apply before sanding once the turning is finished. Don't over sand as you may find that you will get undulations in the surface.

Paul Hannaby":1ia4uql8 said:
If the wood is too far gone for the sanding sealer method, try wood hardener.

Also Melamine enhanced Lacquer is quite effective if it's to hand, although somewhat more expensive for regular or large area use, best allowed to cure for a few days before final finishing in worst case scenarios.

Don't forget whatever you use it needs to be more than touch dry, it needs to be properly dry. In cold, damp weather this can be days or more and even in good weather it's more than a few hours, depending how deep the stuff has penetrated.

Try Drechseln wood hardener from The Toolpost, I have found it works really well, especially on rather spongy spalted beech. It has an advantage in that it doesn’t discolour the wood.
Dave

Latest posts

Back