Wadkin AGS 10 Affairs and Spares

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All...

Latest update - I've decided on a motor and inverter. What do you think of the following?:

• Siemens V20 2.2kW 230V 1ph to 3ph AC Inverter Drive, C2 EMC
  • Brook Crompton Series 10 IE2 2.2kW (3HP) Three Phase Motor 230V/400V 2P 90L B3

The digital inverters were just too expensive for a single machine / hobby type usage therefore I thought the above Siemens seemed a good bet.

I'm hoping the frame (90L) will fit onto the existing mount!!!

Also, where does one usually mount the inverter? On a wall or on the machine itself?

OriginalMitsta":3p5tt8ji said:
Thanks Andy, so I've found a couple of companies that deal with motor rewinding. I'll give them a call to see what they can do about re-wiring it.

This is a 4HP (3KW) motor but I can't seem to find any documentation on it which tells me what the start-up current is. I'll give Direct Drives a call as they don't seem to have a 4HP digital converter on their ebay shop.

Andy,

Spoke to a motor rewinding company regarding the conversion from star to delta. Their response was basically that as the motor was so old, there was a high probability that whilst re-wiring the motor, they may experience a wire break meaning that a full rewind would be needed. This would be prohibitively expensive.

I also contacted Brook Crompton who told me that the startup current would be 600 - 650% of full load current (meaning that I wouldn't be able to use the standard 32A MCB garage ring mains for this and would have to run a dedicated cable to a 40A MCB.

Cheers

The inrush current lasts for a very short time, and rather than specifying everything for that current you normally use class C MCB’s that have a slightly longer trip time to allow the inrush current to pass. It will run off a 16A class C MCB.

Not meaning to hijack your thread in any way but I'm currently restoring an identical saw (nearly finished). If you need any help or advice I'll be more than glad to help.

My saw thread is here MARK'S AGS10 RESTORATION

Mark

Thanks Mark - I'm looking to make a start on the restoration very soon now (my wife has me painting the house at the moment). I will definitely give you a shout as and when I get stuck :)

OriginalMitsta":6lprk3e8 said:
Hello All...

Latest update - I've decided on a motor and inverter. What do you think of the following?:

• Siemens V20 2.2kW 230V 1ph to 3ph AC Inverter Drive, C2 EMC
  • Brook Crompton Series 10 IE2 2.2kW (3HP) Three Phase Motor 230V/400V 2P 90L B3

The digital inverters were just too expensive for a single machine / hobby type usage therefore I thought the above Siemens seemed a good bet.

I'm hoping the frame (90L) will fit onto the existing mount!!!

Also, where does one usually mount the inverter? On a wall or on the machine itself?

Does the speed of the new motor match the old? If so it should work fine.

if your using a VFD with a cooling fan then avoid placing it near a source of dust. I'm now using heat sinks and "cold plate" VFDs from WEG as cooling is passive so no fan. So if you do put it on the saw, try and protect it from dust ingress. They tend to have heat sensors on board so cut out before setting on fire but even so, avoiding dust is a good idea :)

OriginalMitsta":3mckkfct said:
Andy,

Spoke to a motor rewinding company regarding the conversion from star to delta. Their response was basically that as the motor was so old, there was a high probability that whilst re-wiring the motor, they may experience a wire break meaning that a full rewind would be needed. This would be prohibitively expensive.

I also contacted Brook Crompton who told me that the startup current would be 600 - 650% of full load current (meaning that I wouldn't be able to use the standard 32A MCB garage ring mains for this and would have to run a dedicated cable to a 40A MCB. Cheers

I can understand the reticence of the rewirers, it can get a bit brittle in there.

BTW, even with the new motor and VFD, you may still need a C type breaker as mentioned by Deema and myself. Inrush is only fleeting but can be disconcerting when the MCB keeps tripping and everything looks fine.

As your going to get a VFD and probably going to dump the original motor, maybe you want to try this first :) Only if your comfortable, it may mean you don't need to buy a new motor and the original works with your new VFD :)

On your old motor, you should have 3 external wires, U1, V1 and W1 If labelled) one for each winding. Each connects to a different phase L1, L2 and L3 from your 3 phase supply each like this.

star.jpg

This is how I converted my old Brook motor on my milling machine to delta. First take the end off and have a prod about for the star point, it is likely to be near the surface as it joins the 3 windings together as per the previous diagram

P1030173.jpg

I don't know if I was lucky but I found it straight away, it was a lumpy bit where 3 wires are soldered together covered in a bit of sleeving.

P1030174.jpg

You now cut the star point into 3 individual wires and get the meter out and perform some tests.

First, checking for continuity and finding out which external end belongs to which internal end. Get your meter out and find which internal wires belong to which externals wires, there should be a one to one relationship :) A healthy motor should be have a resistance in the low tens of ohms and all be similar. Label them U, V and W as per convention. Then check for winding shorts, with all the internal and external wires separated, you shouldn't detect any continuity between U, V and W.

If that is all hunky dory, now solder on a cable to each internal winding wire, the winding wire is covered in insulating varnish that needs scraping off. Cover the joints with fine shrink wrap and route the cables externally labelling each end, U1 external, U2 internal for one winding etc.

P1030175.jpg

Now test again and if it is all OK, tidy up the winding coverings and put the end of the motor back on and test yet again.

At this point you will have 6 wires, both ends of 3 windings. I used the existing terminals to create Delta wiring by putting 3 wires on each post instead of two. The following shows two wires on each post before I add the wires from the VFD.

P1030176.jpg

Your trying to imitate the top of the following diagram, the bottom shows how delta is selected on a modern motor with 6 posts. By doubling up the winding wires I did it with the 3 original wiring posts.

delta.jpg

SAFETY - make sure the motor is earthed, check continuity between the case and earth with a meter. Also don't apply power with the covers of anything off. If your not comfortable and/or don't have a competent person to check it, don't do it.

Motor under test with the VFD on the bench after a coat of paint , note the cheap plastic box that came with the VFD for on/off and speed control. If you find the motor is going the wrong way the swapping any two phases from the VFD will sort it.

P1030196.jpg

I put the gubbins out of the cheap plastic box, basically two momentary switches and a potentiometer into the original cast alloy box, added a chicken head knob for speed control via the potentiometer and gave it a coat of paint.

P1030420.jpg

On the other hand you may be able to sell the motor as it is and buy the new one :)

If you want to confirm physical mounting of the new motor, all the dimensions are usually on line.

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1030173.jpg
    P1030173.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 614
  • star.jpg
    star.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 614
  • P1030174.jpg
    P1030174.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 614
  • P1030175.jpg
    P1030175.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 613
  • P1030176.jpg
    P1030176.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 614
  • delta.jpg
    delta.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 614
  • P1030196.jpg
    P1030196.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 614
  • P1030420.jpg
    P1030420.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 614
I forgot to mention motor shaft size. It will almost certainly be bigger on the new motor or at least metric v imperial.

If your going with a new motor why not just buy a Cap start Cap run 2.2KW 90L motor and a new DOL it will be far cheaper than buying a new motor and inverter. This motor will be an induction motor, no noisy brushes, so there is no difference in noise from a single phase or three phase motor.

When I’ve done this conversion (have done a few now) a 90L motor needs new mounting holes.

Thanks for your post Deema...

So since I've purchased the table saw, I've had numerous around single phase vs three phase motors and the use of an inverter vs starter and everyone seems to recommend the use of three phase motors for various reasons (more torque, more efficiency, lower run current) and seem to say that instead of using a starter, use an inverter as you get more granular control over running (e.g. soft start, <10s break, ability to control motor speed).

You're right that a single phase motor + starter is a cheaper option. Effectively, I'm looking at a saving of ~£100

Brilliant post Andy!

It's very tempting to go ahead and modify the motor myself (of course, would have to dust off the old Multi meter!). I've not done any electrical work like this in a long time now... :D How long did it take you to do this?

Definitely worth thinking about..

Farmer Giles":17kowr4o said:
OriginalMitsta":17kowr4o said:
Andy,

I also contacted Brook Crompton who told me that the startup current would be 600 - 650% of full load current (meaning that I wouldn't be able to use the standard 32A MCB garage ring mains for this and would have to run a dedicated cable to a 40A MCB. Cheers

I can understand the reticence of the rewirers, it can get a bit brittle in there.

BTW, even with the new motor and VFD, you may still need a C type breaker as mentioned by Deema and myself. Inrush is only fleeting but can be disconcerting when the MCB keeps tripping and everything looks fine.

As your going to get a VFD and probably going to dump the original motor, maybe you want to try this first :) Only if your comfortable, it may mean you don't need to buy a new motor and the original works with your new VFD :)

On your old motor, you should have 3 external wires, U1, V1 and W1 If labelled) one for each winding. Each connects to a different phase L1, L2 and L3 from your 3 phase supply each like this.

This is how I converted my old Brook motor on my milling machine to delta. First take the end off and have a prod about for the star point, it is likely to be near the surface as it joins the 3 windings together as per the previous diagram

I don't know if I was lucky but I found it straight away, it was a lumpy bit where 3 wires are soldered together covered in a bit of sleeving.

You now cut the star point into 3 individual wires and get the meter out and perform some tests.

First, checking for continuity and finding out which external end belongs to which internal end. Get your meter out and find which internal wires belong to which externals wires, there should be a one to one relationship :) A healthy motor should be have a resistance in the low tens of ohms and all be similar. Label them U, V and W as per convention. Then check for winding shorts, with all the internal and external wires separated, you shouldn't detect any continuity between U, V and W.

If that is all hunky dory, now solder on a cable to each internal winding wire, the winding wire is covered in insulating varnish that needs scraping off. Cover the joints with fine shrink wrap and route the cables externally labelling each end, U1 external, U2 internal for one winding etc.

Now test again and if it is all OK, tidy up the winding coverings and put the end of the motor back on and test yet again.

At this point you will have 6 wires, both ends of 3 windings. I used the existing terminals to create Delta wiring by putting 3 wires on each post instead of two. The following shows two wires on each post before I add the wires from the VFD.

Your trying to imitate the top of the following diagram, the bottom shows how delta is selected on a modern motor with 6 posts. By doubling up the winding wires I did it with the 3 original wiring posts.

SAFETY - make sure the motor is earthed, check continuity between the case and earth with a meter. Also don't apply power with the covers of anything off. If your not comfortable and/or don't have a competent person to check it, don't do it.

Motor under test with the VFD on the bench after a coat of paint , note the cheap plastic box that came with the VFD for on/off and speed control. If you find the motor is going the wrong way the swapping any two phases from the VFD will sort it.

I put the gubbins out of the cheap plastic box, basically two momentary switches and a potentiometer into the original cast alloy box, added a chicken head knob for speed control via the potentiometer and gave it a coat of paint.

On the other hand you may be able to sell the motor as it is and buy the new one :)

If you want to confirm physical mounting of the new motor, all the dimensions are usually on line.

Cheers
Andy

OriginalMitsta":1cdzt17f said:
Farmer Giles":1cdzt17f said:
I forgot to mention motor shaft size. It will almost certainly be bigger on the new motor or at least metric v imperial.

Yes, been looking at replacement pulley's too :)

Interesting. Where have you been looking ?

Mark

deema":slydhw05 said:
If your going with a new motor why not just buy a Cap start Cap run 2.2KW 90L motor and a new DOL it will be far cheaper than buying a new motor and inverter. This motor will be an induction motor, no noisy brushes, so there is no difference in noise from a single phase or three phase motor.

When I’ve done this conversion (have done a few now) a 90L motor needs new mounting holes.

I got a new DOL from here Motor Control Warehouse
Really great service. I had almost no idea what I needed but they were very helpful and supplied exactly the right switch at a good price and even delivered it door to door from Wales to Norway in 24 hours (still can't understand how that's physically possible :shock: )

Mark

Mark

Been looking at the Bearing Boys website. I've never used them however they seem to have a decent range of pulleys. I'm after a 3-groove pulley with a 24mm bore to suit the motor. From their site, it seems that you buy the pulley (e.g. Dunlop cast iron pulley) then the bush to suit it (e.g. 1008 taper bush). Site is:

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk

I'll obviously need to check the existing configuration to ensure I get the right pulley size etc.

Krysstel":hlmu4ci8 said:
OriginalMitsta":hlmu4ci8 said:
Farmer Giles":hlmu4ci8 said:

Yes, been looking at replacement pulley's too :)

Interesting. Where have you been looking ?

Mark

I'll take a look

Question - has anyone ever used Inverter Drive Supermarket? (https://inverterdrive.com)

Krysstel":5gy33dif said:
deema":5gy33dif said:

I got a new DOL from here Motor Control Warehouse
Really great service. I had almost no idea what I needed but they were very helpful and supplied exactly the right switch at a good price and even delivered it door to door from Wales to Norway in 24 hours (still can't understand how that's physically possible :shock: )

Mark

OriginalMitsta":1fc6xb8j said:
Question - has anyone ever used Inverter Drive Supermarket? (https://inverterdrive.com)

Yes, several times. I tend to buy motors and VFDs from them. I had a faulty VFD a while ago, it failed a couple of weeks after installation and they dealt with it OK.

As far as rewiring the motor for delta, it took an hour or two.

Hi
I have a 1960 10 AGS with a gryphon 2hp 3 phase motor which has burnt out, rewind looking at £360 plus vat. Anyone got a cheaper solution with a new motor, can be 1 phase or 3?

Diving into a motor to find the star point is easier than you think. I did it, never having had instruction in Lecky, just YouTube....
This leaves you confortably on 240V, as per domestic wiring, and a cheaper box of electronics to fit and configure.

Just sayin'. Sam

GregC":363acw70 said:
Hi
I have a 1960 10 AGS with a gryphon 2hp 3 phase motor which has burnt out, rewind looking at £360 plus vat. Anyone got a cheaper solution with a new motor, can be 1 phase or 3?

Hi Greg,

I recently rebuilt a Wadkin AGS 10 and put a single phase motor in it.

Approximate costs were;

£178 for Brook Crompton S10 aluminium 1.5kw/2hp

New 3 v belt pulley for new motor c.£15

Bush for pulley c.£9

New belts v belts c.£8

C.£210 and about 3 hours of time.

Just needed to drill new motor mount holes on bracket.

Farmer Giles is where I got most of my info from

ags10-3-phase-to-single-phase-conversion-t116123.html

This should be useful.

Good luck!

Back