Chuck Problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obi Wan Kenobi

Established Member
Reaction score
"From a long time ago in a galaxy far, far aw
I've recently purchased a new Hitachi 18v combi drill. I'm impressed with it as it's powerful, appears well made, came with a couple of 3 ah batteries and has a metal chuck. However, I have an issue with the chuck whereby after drilling a number of holes it loosens itself and the bit falls out! This happens no matter how much I tighten it!

Having read about this on the web, it appears that the problem is caused by the drill brake, and it also appears that it affects many makes of drill inc. Festool! The brake on the Hitachi is extremely good and IMHO this does appear to be the problem.

I am about to send it back to Hitachi for a chuck replacement, but before I do, has anyone else experienced this issue and/or is there anything that I can do to stop this from happening?

TIA

Obi Wan :eek:ccasion5:

phil.p":3rvuq1m2 said:
My DeWalt will drop the bit out if I drop the power off quickly.

It seems to the case often Phil, but I suppose from my point of view I look at it that with a brand new drill this should not happen. It has been suggested that I only use it on the slow speed........... :shock:

I'll send it back for a new chuck but the problem persists, I'll just have to back off each time I use it.

Obi Wan :eek:ccasion5:

If you end up getting your money back then I can vouch for the Bosch that I have, no issues in this regard at all.

phil.p":fumfe8io said:
I doubt a different chuck would be any different - the thread would be exactly the same, and if it happens to one it'll happen to another. It's a bit of poor design we'll have to live with, I think.

I think you're probably right Phil. Shame though.

LancsRick":fumfe8io said:
If you end up getting your money back then I can vouch for the Bosch that I have, no issues in this regard at all

I'm don't really want my money back, especially as I'm using Hitachi now - their B/L impact driver is awesome!

OWK :eek:ccasion5:

Back