Dinosaurs puzzle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstano83

Established Member
Reaction score
Proxxon blade number 5, oak wood and some linseed oil. Not as smooth cuts as I would expect, but our kids (3 and 5yr) love it.

Attachments

• 20180603-IMG_20180603_231555.jpg
    20180603-IMG_20180603_231555.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 704
Love that, a very simple but effective project, I sure your little ones will be thrilled with it. Can I as what size it is please?

regards

Brian

Looks good kstano83. Glad the machine's going OK now.

If the cuts are a bit rougher than you expected try, either A) slowing the machine speed down a bit, or; B) slowing down your feed rate (how fast you push the job into the work), or; C) change to a finer blade (e.g. a No 3).That last will reduce the overall cutting speed (as will the other 2 of course) but should also smooth the cut.

Nicely done!

I would suggest trying some Pegas blades , you will notice the difference in ease of use and much reduced need for sanding after

I think I expressed myself wrong. My feed rate was the problem. The lines on the pattern were very thin and not so easy to follow for me. So far I have used Proxxon no. 5 and several different pegas blades that I got for free with my scroll saw and I always got finish that never needed sanding (except from missing a line or bad connection from start to finish of a cut).
I´m still not sure, but I think the Proxxon no.5 blades last longer than any Pegas blade I have used. Before trying any pegas blades, I have used maybe 30 Proxxon blades no5 just to get the feel for it and then I tried Pegas no.5 and I ruined one pattern completely. I felt almost no resistance and I was not able to follow a line. I felt like I scrolled for the first time. Later, it was all ok and I was able to cut nicely with any number I have chosen. (I haven used blades number 1 though yet)

Big mystery to me is how different the cutting resistance is sometimes. I don´t think it has anything to do with grain direction or sharpness of a blade. Do you also experience that?

Also, do thinner blades get dull faster? I have noticed that I can´t cut as much with a blade no.3 than with no.5.

Personally I've never tried Proxxon blades, so can't comment.

I'm nut sure about the different resistance with different jobs or different blades either, apart from things like knots or "crossed up" grain in the job of course.

I do feel that the finer the blade (the lower the number) then the more difficulty the blade has to clear the saw dust from the cut, which can of course reduce the cutting effectiveness. That happens even with skip tooth blades. The only answer is to cut slower (i.e. reduce the feed rate) AFAIK.

I'm not sure if the finer blades dull any quicker either, though of course they are a bit easier to break.

That looks great. Where did you get the pattern from? I have been working through the Peterson’s book and my kids love the Dino puzzles.

Latest posts

Back