Metal and masonry drill bit recommendations please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thick_mike

Wood Shortener
Reaction score
I’m after some good quality drill bits for metalwork and masonry.

Has anyone had a good experience? Spotted a bargain?

:D

Dont buy metal drills that are gold or aluminium coloured. nice black steel does the job. But dont buy "bargain" ones that are made of chinesium.
I've never found a bad masonry bit though. I have some that must have drilled a thousand holes. Just use it till the tip breaks off or goes burnt black

Masonry - can't tell the difference, I've had a set of Dewalt for years and they keep on trucking

Metal - Dormer are nice but pricey, Tivoli are ok otherwise I buy in bulk and bin 'em. Sure Colt and Famag are good but their wood bits cost a ton.

I bought a set similar to this (same DIN number)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MREKLQT/ ... B00KCLU5U2 about 16 years ago and it's the best thing I ever bought, economically. Every few months I sit with a mic. and put all the loose ones back - I think there are probably more in it now than when it was new. I've replaced a few 3mms and 6mms. If you do repair work the half sizes are especially handy.

Mike, if you're looking for a set of quality bits for metal I'd be surprised if you'd be satisfied with the 'bargain' (under 7 quid) offerings at UKDrills. I have bought sets at a similar price point and they're pretty much useless for drilling steel, though OKish for brass provided you're not too fussy about the actual size of the hole...
Depends on how many holes you want to drill in what obviously, but my experience has been that it's worth paying more for 'industrial' brands - Dormer and Guhring are excellent, but I've also got cheaper Presto (various suppliers) and Sherwood (Cromwell Tools) sets. They just work.
Robin

Back