Mitre saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabbage

Reaction score
Hi there,
I want to buy a mitre saw for a project I'm doing now and future ones,
I want a sliding mitre saw that will cut through a 4x4. I've got a 10" one now which I've borrowed but it's too small and won't go through. I'm cutting it at a 10 degree angle so it's hard to have to turn it over and accurately try to finish cutting through. I'm not that good I'm afraid.
Anyone know of one that won't cost the earth (preferably under £300)or are there any tips on how I can cut a 4x4 any other way accurately?

Many thanks

Evolution Rage 3-DB looks like it'd fit the bill at around £240 - double bevel too. 320 mm max width cut 80mm depth. If you want a stand for it, that's around £80...

Thanks for the reply. But that wouldn’t go through a 4x4 would it? If the max depth is 80mm. It needs at least a 100mm doesn’t it? Or am I on the wrong track?

If you want to do it in one go then you'll need that much, but you'll need a big saw for that, which will either be expensive as an scms or limited as a chop saw.

Personally for the sake of a few (?) cuts I'd just mark all round the timber and cut from two sides.

The rage is good for the money, I've had the smaller and the larger one. They have an outlet on ebay where you can pick up open box ones for silly money.

According to the length a Bandsaw may work if the throat is deep enough for your needs.

Mike

I'm kind of drawn to this one now Metabo KGS 305 M 2000W 315mm Crosscut and Mitre Saw 240V. My problem is I used a 10" saw before to cut the 4x4 at 10 degree angles. Doing a second cut to finish it off didn't work well for me at all. It was inaccurate and caused a step which I ended up trying to fix with my jigsaw and sanding. As I've said I'm not that good yet. What limitations will a 12" saw give me in the future? This metabo is £269 which seems reasonable.

pcb1962":2wxx0f8a said:
I have no experience whatsoever of this one, but I bookmarked it a while back as I have a project in mind which requires quite a few cuts in 4x4 that my Makita won't handle, it might suit your needs: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KMYX9TS

I bought a Pingtek a couple of years ago, OK if you don't mind +/- 5 degrees accuracy! Rejected it and supplier didn't seem surprised. Replaced with a Bosch.

Yeah I suppose. I’m checking this Metabo is compound now as some sites say it is and others don’t. This is hard work. Choice is limited though due to size and budget. Any knowledge on what lumberjacks are like?

Cabbage":1k6hufdt said:
Doing a second cut to finish it off didn't work well for me at all. It was inaccurate and caused a step which I ended up trying to fix with my jigsaw and sanding.

To not get a step

1. Do cut 1
2. Rotate wood
3. Lower arm without spinning blade, position the first part of the cut up against the blade but don't flex the blade at all.
4. Clamp wood
5. Make 2nd cut.

To fix a step

1. Move the wood out of the way
2. Bring down the arm without spinning up the blade, like you're lining up for a cut.
3. push the wood against the blade so there's a slight flex. Clamp the wood
4. Release the arm.
5. Do the cut.

It'll trim off the tinyest bit.

This works well for me.

Thanks scardeycat,

I think if it was a straight cut I could do it by rotating it once, cutting, rotate again etc. But it's because it's an angle that's throwing me I think. I felt I had to rotate the whole way round, do the angle the opposite way on the saw and practically guess where to start again. Maybe I should practice a bit more then decide at the end of the week.
Thanks for the advice though

Cabbage":22qmvwlw said:
What limitations will a 12" saw give me in the future? This metabo is £269 which seems reasonable.

I don't think that a 12" saw will give you any limitations other than 12" blades generally being more expensive than smaller ones, and of course a decent 12" SCMS will cost a lot more than 10" or 8" ones.

Are the 4" cuts that you need to make just for the project you're working on now, or are all of your future projects going to be based around the 4" timber? If it's the latter, then I think the answer is obvious :wink:

Obi Wan :eek:ccasion5:

I’ve researched the Metabo all day and put an order in. It’s had great reviews and the price is unbelievable. I will be doing more work using 4x4’s aswell as smaller timber so I think it’s a good investment.
Thanks for all your input, some good tips too.
Ill let you know how I get on.

Back