The nutters are back ....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately it encourages weekend riders to treat the rest of the country like a race track too. Most of them appear to have no idea how to ride on track let alone the roads.

I've started to try and distance myself from other riders because there are far to many d*ckhead riders annoying the res of the population. On the way to Aldi to pick up a bandsaw this morning, 8 riders flew through our village well over the limit. Further down the road three of them needed exit the tarmac because they couldn't work out how to ride round the twisty corners at the speed they were travelling. Poor obs, but also poor riding in general. I don't begrudge them their new bikes with 30 miles on them, I don't begrudge them their sparkling new leathers that will only see the great outdoors 4 times a year. I just get annoyed when they p*ss off other drivers who then think we all ride like that. Come Monday when I have to ride in the traffic that they've played about in, who'd you think gets the brunt of the car driver's anger.

TT is epic though.

ScaredyCat":1ixy5u6g said:
Unfortunately it encourages weekend riders to treat the rest of the country like a race track too. .

I'm with you on that as we live in an area which is very popular with thrill seeking bikers to abuse and cause the rest of road users great problems. They seem to be completely oblivious to the bright yellow road signs suggesting death isn't worth it and double white lines are apparently not applicable to motorcyclists.

Our local hairdressers husband was one such rider who a number of years ago lost it at speed on the wrong side of a bend, he spent months in hospital, lost an arm and seriously damaged other parts of his anatomy and the drugs have now apparently taken their toll and he has developed terminal cancer.
I feel a little sorry for him, very sad for his wife and young son but extremely annoyed that he also seriously injured an innocent couple enjoying a day out who happened to be driving in the opposite direction.

As you say, a few bad apples spoils it for the majority who are careful, sensible riders.

Bob

Sorry but I don't agree with you. It isn't the TT that brings out the morons on their twatasaki 9000 and matching leathers, - they're out as soon as the sun starts shining.

We live close to a popular route to the coast and there's a nasty bend and railway bridge towards the end of a fairly fast straight and bits of biker are regularly being picked out of the brickwork. I have virtually no sympathy for any of them.

stuartpaul":1l9ctkig said:
Sorry but I don't agree with you. It isn't the TT that brings out the morons on their twatasaki 9000 and matching leathers, - they're out as soon as the sun starts shining.
^ This.
You'd be surprised how many riders haven't even heard of the TT...

Bloke at work is just like that. Early 50s, mid-life crisis sort of thing. Had a BMW and a Merc coupe/roadster type cars, but "needed" a bike... test passed, straight out on a Daytona and then onto a 'Blade. Drives like a **** and rides even worse. Can't even park properly which, given how small these bikes are and how big car spaces are, is quite an achievement to be such an inconvenience!

Friend of mine is a retired NHS surgeon, he has often remarked that sections of the medical fraternity referred to motorcyclists as "organ donors" because of the number of fatal accidents involving them. Compared to motorists, bikers don't have much protection in the event of an accident and not all accidents involving bikers are their fault.

When I commuted daily to Aberdeen, on fine days the bikers were out in force - some acted responsibly but there were always the few nutters who exceeded the speed limit as they wove in and out of traffic and even squeezed between the two lines of traffic on the dual carriageway.

One of the guys I worked with was a very careful biker but was unfortunately the victim of a fatal accident caused by a careless driver who pulled out of a side road without really looking.

I guess that there are (and always will be!) reckless users of both two and four wheeled vehicles - it's up to the rest of us to watch out for the bad ones and avoid them as far as possible.

I rode motorcycles for 51 years before arthritis put paid to that.
In those years I must have hit the deck at least a dozen times. I have truly lost count.
I freely admit I have scraped many a footrest and over cooked a couple of corners (just a couple, honest).
But I can clearly recall 5 of my painful incidents being caused by a car attacking me while I was minding my own business (3 on the same bike!). I still have the scars and bruises and painful joints to show for them but luckily never broke a bone.

It aint the vehicle, its the driver/ rider / operator.

skelph":2d701dw8 said:
Friend of mine is a retired NHS surgeon, he has often remarked that sections of the medical fraternity referred to motorcyclists as "organ donors"

With consent - you can't take them without it. It's not actually a bad thing to be a donor either, but just take note that the average age of bikers these days is rapidly going up because taking 3 tests to get your bike licence discourages younger riders - so those organs might not be as useful.

I think the posts after my first in this thread show the damage that the a*hole bikers cause the rest of us.

I commute on my bike, I see the same cars each day. It doesn't help to water them off because the next day they might not be so generous with their driving. I, generally, find car drivers are helpful - I mean there's always the driver who doesn't want you to get past in a traffic jam but they're in the minority, for me at least and I'd like to keep it that way.

Completely out of order for any driver no matter how many wheels he's rolling on to "attack" another driver / rider - however......

The actions of a minority who behave badly give a perception that all those with similar machines are the same, e.g. white van man, lorry drivers, Audi / BMW drivers and of course motorcyclists.
They aren't all the same but that perception changes how the rest of us drive and while most will back off and well out of the way, others do the opposite.

In my area, weekend motorbikes are a real problem and with groups of maybe 3 or 4 to double figures overtaking in heavy traffic, at speed on blind bends and wrong side of double lines is infuriating and downright dangerous, if they want to kill themselves then fine but not innocent families along with them.
I stay well clear where I can but because of the times I've been carved up I view motorcyclists with suspicion and try to give them room when in slow traffic these days as I've had 2 cars scraped by riders zooming up the middle between cars. I hate them doing that and as many of our roads have been narrowed by the formation of cycle lanes while vehicles get wider there's little room.

That said, I followed one of the worst car drivers I've ever seen yesterday, Chavs in a little old Corsa, lowered, big wheels and exhaust nearly as big, scraping along the road. I'd have pulled him over and had a word but they were 4 in the car and didn't fancy being worked over but got my missus to take some video which I passed on to a mate who's a D.I. so they'll be getting a "knock" :)

I rode motorbikes for many years in my youth and passed the required tests btw, wouldn't now just too bl**dy dangerous in the UK.

Bob

Back