Kity K5 Mortise Bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhenry

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know where you can buy these? I understand that the shaft can be no wider than 12mm which rules out the left hand bits that I have been able to find online.

Thanks

David

It's worse than that David as from memory the K5 and Bestcombi were fitted with a 10mm chuck so the shank can't be greater dia than that. The Kity 12mm bits had a reduced shank to fit. The machine isn't really suitable for anything larger anyway and you just have to make additional passes with the smaller bit which is easy enough.

I'm fortunate to have 2 full sets for mine and wouldn't want to part with any but I've seen suitable bits somewhere not too long ago so will post again if i can find them.

cheers
Bob

Edit: If you can't get any then look at TCT router drills, Wealdon used to sell them, in the old days you could get them with an 8mm or 10mm shank but probably now 1/4" or 1/2" .
1/4" would be ok as long as you took small cuts and didn't stess it too much.

I believe I'm right in saying, Where the mortice bits are driven by the planer block, they are left handed!
As in the white k5s, mortice table attached to the thicknesser bed for being used.
The CK 26 and model before, may well be opposite as the mortice arrangement was a separate drive system, and on the other side of the table.
Regards Rodders

Try Scott & Sargent they have left and right handed bits . The shank sizes should be listed
Matt

Shrubby":2aon83zj said:
Try Scott & Sargent they have left and right handed bits . The shank sizes should be listed
Matt

Well done! Thanks for that, A good outfit too, Scott and sargent!
Regards Rodders

As a quick follow up I tried Scott and Sargent as suggested but was unable to find what I was after. I was able to find a full set of left hand mortise bits (6 - 14mm) on eBay France for €60 delivered which look like they will work a treat.

Thanks again all for your input.

Dave

Dhenry":2nh75oet said:
As a quick follow up I tried Scott and Sargent as suggested but was unable to find what I was after. I was able to find a full set of left hand mortise bits (6 - 14mm) on eBay France for €60 delivered which look like they will work a treat.

Thanks again all for your input.

Dave
Hi Dave
Glad you're sorted.

It might be worth posting the link to your supplier to help anyone else who might be looking.
There are a hell of a lot of K5s around, I'm still getting half a dozen manual requests a month.

cheers
Bob

I found the slot mortice bits good fun to use, I rounded off the tenon ends when I used my fathers, Just carefully, with a chisel, As squaring out the round shouldered mortice seemed to be more difficult and drawn out process.
Don't forget to keep to the correct speed for the morticer, which I think was 4,000, as the higher speed 5700 would over heat the cutters,
This info should be on top of the motor,in the yellow panel, if you haven't got you're user manual handy.
Regards Rodders.

johnbb99":2cq6u0px said:
NMA Agencies have them for about £12 each.

A couple of years out of date John but still useful info if that's correct.

EDIT:
Just looked through the website and couldn't find them. Several for the Bestcombi 2000 but not sure they will fit a K5 and more than twice that price anyway

I couldn’t find them on the website either although, if they fit a Bestcombi 2000, they should also fit a K5 as both are only able to take a 10mm diameter shaft.

Back