Plywood paint rack - UPDATE: finished!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seb Palmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's my latest little project, a shelf unit paint-rack, for my mini-military hobbies (modelmaking and wargame figures). It'll take 60 of those little Vallejo style acrylic paint pots. Plus there's a little shelf up top for odds and ends.

photo%2B1.JPG

Glue in the routed out grooves, ready for glue up.

photo%2B2.JPG

Glueing this lot was pretty tricky. I got glue everywhere. I also made loads of little irritating mistakes as I worked on these. Maybe this is cause I kind of busk these projects? But then I quite like winging it. And if I learn from all the mistakes I keep on making... given how many I make, I ought to be learning a lot!

photo%2B3.JPG

This pic shows the unit upright, as it's intended to be used. It'll need cleaning up and varnishing next. And I think I'll put a board on the back to keep it all square. I'm looking forward to making my workspace neater and more efficient.

photo%2B1.JPG

Painted the hardboard backboard in one of my many favoured shades of green.

photo%2B2.JPG

Varnished the shelves in a matt finish.

Now preparing to glue the backboard on. And - of course! - discover the shelves are out of square both vertically and horizontally. Making this final step - gluing and panel-pins (pre-drilling pilot holes*) - all that much harder.

* pilot-holes to prevent the plywood splitting, of course; one of my many previous mistakes I did actually learn from!

IMG_1591.JPG

Keeping the shelves clamped square whilst locating panel-pins for glue up was a little tricky.

IMG_1593.JPG

And, finally, ta-dah! Done, and in use. My OCD side demands that I return to this later and sort the colours into their proper order!

Nice rack makes it much easier to find what you want.

I need to make something for all of the paints I have not just for the airbrush but also all of the other little pots that I use for decorating my turning

Nice rack - fnar - but one question, can you reach the top shelves while sitting down?

I've been contemplating something similar for quite some time for my modelling space, but I've never decided on drawers, slots for small pullout sealed containers or a rack like yours for all the paints and associated paraphenalia.

No, I have to stand to reach the top. The whole workspace is far from ideal, as the table itself - an expandable dining table - is too deep.

I thought about that issue, and decided that, under current conditions, the priority was tidy organisation. I just need a clear work surface! The table has been so cluttered for so long I've not been able to paint or build anything.

I'm also planning a small bookcase, for all (or rather some of) my military reference works, and some other receptacles, for the remaining tools. Always so much to be done!

Back