Workshop overhang

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agraves

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm building a new workshop 15m2, with a gable roof constructed of a 2x6 ridge board and 2x4 rafters. I'm attempting to create an overhang at the front of the shop, of 1.5ft. Unfortunately the ridge board doesn't cantilever pass the walls, as I built the shop around 4.8m long timbers. This means I've had to use blocking for the overhang, but now it's dropping a bit, maybe by 1.5cm at the end of the block in relation to the OSB I've got laid on the roof.

My question(s) is, if I put a 2x4 sub-fascia to the front of the blocking, and nail the OSB down, will the OSB be stiff enough to hold it up? A colleague at work suggested extending the ridge board by using a couple of steel bolts epoxied into the ridge board and an extension. That seems a bit overkill?

I'd like to thank everyone who posts on here (especially Mike) for their amazing posts which has got me this far!

Not sure what you mean by "blocking". Should have built a ladder section for the overhang but it can be added to the face with gallows brackets to support it at the bottom ends.

Back