Performance power PP370WL - any good for starter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homerjh

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all, there is a Performance power PP370WL lathe on a popular auction site that is currently dirt cheap and almost on my doorstep to collect.

now i know it wont have massive features or be as good as a £300 jet/axi/etc but wondering how usable it would be to start with?

it has the tool rests and appears to only have a faceplate, but multi speed and suppose if the headstock is a common size may be able to buy chucks then use on others?

so what are peoples thoughts on buying cheap (very) and then upgrading as you go along?

Performance Power are/were a brand name use by B&Q, lathes under that label tended to be generic units, variations of which can be found under numerous brand names, those that I saw within the stores tended to have specifications regarding thread sizes etc. that were at the low end of the budget range and limited on available accessories.

Like everyone else I'd advise avoiding that.
Some really good bargains can be had on eBay on good secondhand lathes. Be patient and you could set yourself up really well for £150.
Keep an eye out for something like a Record, Myford, Tyme, Arundel or Coronet. You may also get lucky with some good and valuable accessories thrown in too eg chucks, tools, centres etc.

That's the same as the Woodwise I have sitting on my shelf, not a particularly good unit but could be handy if it was made into a disc sander or the motor used to make/power another tool

I got mine for free of me dad who also made s tool rest as it was missing and for beginner it's great .. I do need to get a chuck and faceplate it's nothing flash but it's a start

at even 50 its a good starter. I had a B&Q performance power angle grinder. That thing did unbelievable amounts of work for almost 15 years before it finally died.
But no, you definitely dont want to spend a 100 on an old PP machine.

nothing wrong with some of the PP stuff, i have quite a few that i still use, my router table is a PP one, i have an 8" mitre saw that is knocking on for 20 years old and still as accurate as i need it to be, still using original blade never been sharpened, and it also took a canal swim during a stint of work on a narrowboat, left it for a week to dry out, and is still going strong, and still gets used when my big one is more hassle to setup for the odd cut,

Back