Union Graduate Lathe Pantone colour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
Just bought a new to me Union Graduate lathe, would anyone know what the original Pantone colour was?
The lathe is in extremely good condition, I got it from a school and most of the paint is intact. Just a few areas that need a little TLC. I’d like to find the original grey colour it was painted with as it would be a shame to repaint the whole machine and lose its heritage.

Thanks in advance.

I have an old Pantone swatch book (er, somewhere in my study!). If you want to try to match it by eye, I'm happy to post it to you if you don't mind posting it back again. Course I don't know if the swatches themselves have aged, but I doubt it'll be very much - it's about 20 years old, at a guess.

[edit] just found it: It was officially valid for 1989-1990, so quite a bit older than I thought. Some of the reds are slightly faded on the edge, but most of it looks normal. If useful, PM me, but I'll quite understand if it's not worth the bother.

That said, anyone mixing the paint should have a swatch book you can check against, and that should be the actual pigments. [/]

E.

Thanks Eric, I really appreciate the offer. I have a Pantone book however I’m slightly colour blind which makes matching colours difficult / impossible. I was hoping someone had done this before / knew the manufacturers designated colour. Fingers crossed.

I doubt that it would be a Pantone reference, most likely to be RAL.

The two systems are similar but Pantone is for printing inks and RAL for Paints and Varnishes.

Why not give Craftmaster a bell?
I would imagine they can help and might well supply to order. I seem to remember reading on their site that they will mix small amounts and quite possibly they will have your colour in their 'catalogue' even if they don't sell it normally.
https://craftmaster.myshopify.com/colle ... ry-colours
Paragon paints is another company I've seen recommended on here but I've never used them.
https://www.paragonpaints.co.uk

is Pantone normal for paint? I thought that Pantone was normally print industry, but I will bow to greater knowledge?

Back