Spalting clues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWD

Established Member
Reaction score
So i was walking the dog through the woods this morning and a couple of trees have been felled - both oak by the looks of it, and i haven't yet purchased a chainsaw to make use of such occurrences but it got me thinking... is there any way to see how a block of wood may look internally - such as spalting - from its outside features? but also would it be possible to determine the grain patterns or other features?
If the answer isn't a resounding no then i thought it'd be a good topic of discussion!

TIA

joe

Well burrs are obvious, and the little side shoots produce knots. Apart from that, I think you have to await the magic of the big bandsaw which opens the log up for the first time. Someone will know better than me, but I think spalting is done once the log is planked. otherwise the effect is going to be too localised to be of any use.

Oh, and a log lying on the ground isn't something you should show too much interest in. It may have been growing at 45 degrees and be so full of tension it will spring into a banana shape as soon as it is touched by a saw.

JWD":2v9mrl6c said:
So i was walking the dog through the woods this morning and a couple of trees have been felled - both oak by the looks of it, and i haven't yet purchased a chainsaw to make use of such occurrences
Do you own the woods?

Just4Fun":llj9z72a said:
JWD":llj9z72a said:
So i was walking the dog through the woods this morning and a couple of trees have been felled - both oak by the looks of it, and i haven't yet purchased a chainsaw to make use of such occurrences
Do you own the woods?

probably not, but i won't say nowt if you don't :wink:

one thing i would do/and do, is get the proper gear, chaps,boots, face guard, gloves, don't skimp on the ppe when it comes to using a chainsaw,

Except that tension doesn't matter so much in turnery blanks - they'll just tend to distort a bit more. I'd think that most spalting occurs when in log form, at least all the spalted stuff I've used that hasn't been bought has been from logs.
DSCN2535.JPG

This was from a log.

Attachments

• DSCN2535.JPG
    DSCN2535.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 155
i don't own the woods - however i wouldn't be taking more than a couple of blanks and often the trees felled near me just get cut up and either turned into chips on the side of the road or just left as is until someone takes them, i'd understand if the council wanted the diversity in habitats or something like that but they're rarely left alone where they fall!

I'm not aware of an easy or casual method to determine for sure if a random log found in a wood is spalted and, if so, how much spalting has occurred. The two or more white rots required to cause spalting infect felled damp logs and boards as well as dead sections of living trees, shrubs and bushes. In effect these different fungi set up defined territories within the log or board. The black lines mark the edge of the territory each fungus has staked out for itself. Some sawmills deliberately and occasionally leave felled logs out in the wet to encourage spalting. Choosing the right moment to convert the logs into boards requires skill and knowledge: presumably they look at the log's end for tell-tale evidence of the condition, e.g., random black/blue/grey lines indicative of fungal activity, which to be able to see clearly might involve cleaning up the ends of the logs through sanding or sawing off a thin sliver. Board up a log too early and the spalting won't be advanced enough, and too late means the wood is too soft and rotten to be of any real use.

Unrelated to your question are techniques people undertake to deliberately spalt uninfected wood usually involving various blends of fresh and partially decayed organic matter and things like fertiliser and even extra (somewhat unexpected) ingredients such as sugar and urine all mixed together. This soup, plus some wood, usually ends up in a tightly sealed plastic bag along with warmth, and perhaps some extra water to make sure there’s plenty of moisture for whatever fungi decide to grow.

If you have a particular interest in the subject try an online search for Dr Sarah Robinson, often known simply as Dr Spalting. She has quite a lot of information out there on the topic. Slainte.

This is the end of a spalted log that was milled last week - the fungus is clear on the end and appears on some sections along the length. It had been standing on concrete a few years and looked pretty grim - til it was sawn.
IMG_1386.jpg

C

Attachments

• IMG_1386.jpg
    IMG_1386.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 80
Chris152":376fvqi2 said:
This is the end of a spalted log that was milled last week - the fungus is clear on the end and appears on some sections along the length. It had been standing on concrete a few years and looked pretty grim - til it was sawn.

C

oooh gimme gimme

Back