External Door...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaredyCat

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice and or help finding someone who makes external doors.

I need to replace the front door, the building is listed (grade II) and in a conservation area. I am applying for the appropriate consents to have something like this fitted. The pre-application advice is that it would be rejected on 2 counts

1) "Would not support a design including the 'swept' head of the door framing"
2) "We would expect a simple boarded door rather than one constructed of engineered timber."

The current door doesn't have a window, but they do not appear to be objecting to that and it's somehting we'd like beacuse the house is pretty dark, even with all the lights on.

Ok, I thought - I'll just get one of those doors that costs 4 times the price, a nice solid oak one ( for example https://www.ukoakdoors.co.uk/ox-bow-external-solid-oak-door ) .

However, I note that they say all their external doors
"must be treated before being hung, retreated every six months and kept dry at all times through the use of a canopy or similar."

I can't add a canopy, the building is listed. Is it just a getout clause for "if it warps"?

Listings are also saying that

"We would normally expect the door to be painted or finished in linseed oil"...

I have no intention of painting it, so is linseed oil up to the task?

Any ideas as to how to solve this one?

What is the design of, and what materials are used in the existing door?

I guess the easiest to justify to the council is something that is as close as possible to what you've got (but presumably with a suitably designed window in it!). Even simply fitting a window into the existing door - is that an option?

Cheers, W2S

Good luck however you go forward. I have to say that my experience of planning authorities and architects is 100% dreadful. Words are not printable for how I feel about both sets.

We are also Grade 2 and I built a solid oak door (60mm thick) with 4 horizontal braces. It’s well finished with Osmo, in a fairly sheltered position under a large canopy. I can tell you the weather by how much it warps. Changes weekly.

However, let’s hope your LPA is mildly competent. You’ve asked and got pre-app advice. That should have opened the door for you to have a conversation around “would you be likely to accept this?” “What about this would you not accept?”

Can you not just copy what's there already ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I would try and avoid the engineered type doors, I have seen loads fail, no matter how well they are sealed water seems to get under the veneer and lift it.

Woody2Shoes":2gy12u1b said:
What is the design of, and what materials are used in the existing door?

I guess the easiest to justify to the council is something that is as close as possible to what you've got (but presumably with a suitably designed window in it!). Even simply fitting a window into the existing door - is that an option?

Cheers, W2S

The existing one is pretty basic, made of pine but is not secure, is rotting and you can see light through it. Fitting a window to that isn't an option since the door needs replacing anyway. It's covered with some weird gloop which seems to attract all sorts of cr*ap (door opens on to street) from passing traffic.

It sounds like a 4 panel door with the upper panels glazed is fine. Traditionally you would use gun stock M/T joints to blend between the two. Not difficult but I’d make a sample of the joint first to get your head around it. Oak with an oiled finish’s is how I’d describe it for the planners. I would use Osmo UV oil which I’ve used on all points of the compass with good results. All surfaces must be bevelled for water run off however. I have doors and gates in oak Osmo coated at my home, I re-oil every two years which is extremely quick and seems to stop it going grey. No canopies and they are exposed to the North and South.

If you haven't been in contact with the planners why not just go ahead and change the door, if they get on your case play the innocent game and say it was like for like, up to them the prove it wasn't.
Take pics of the ropey area's of the old one, not the whole door just incase.
Chances are no one will notice unless it stands out from the others in the street.
Planners are human after all.
I'm not keen on doors opening out onto the street, can the new one be changed to open in.

Back