Roofing felt repair?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have felted my shed three times(including the first time, when I erected it). The first two times I used galvanised clouts, and freak winds eventually ripped the felt off. The last time I used copious amount of that horrible sticky black stuff that doesn't require heat - no clouts. It looks atrocious, as it's really difficult to access the shed roof(only about 45 cm from the property fence on both sides), but it's held up really well. Much better than when it was nailed.

I used ordinary white spirit and although it took some stirring in with a stick it, went on lovely. I guesstimated it was between 10-15% which seems like a lot, but this stuff really is like treacle normally, and tbh I think thinning it helps because it dries quicker, not lumpy which might telegraph through the felt, and as I said REALLY gets into any nooks where water might collect if the felt fails.

For me it's just a belt and braces thing, but for the little extra time to apply it and minimal cost, why would you not?

John Brown":18v4pse7 said:
I have felted my shed three times(including the first time, when I erected it). The first two times I used galvanised clouts, and freak winds eventually ripped the felt off. The last time I used copious amount of that horrible sticky black stuff that doesn't require heat - no clouts. It looks atrocious, as it's really difficult to access the shed roof(only about 45 cm from the property fence on both sides), but it's held up really well. Much better than when it was nailed.

I was also thinking that maybe the second layer which was still tacky when I put the felt on might also have an adhesive effect as well - plus when the shed roof gets hot on a particularly sunny day - the rollered on bitumen paint and the felt might stick.

Back