UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which ones have you tried? As a wheelchair user, I use these things daily and have gone through loads!

My advice is to go for this type :

41AL1g1PzWL._SL1000_.jpg

But avoid this type:

61C1IPDboFL._SL1500_.jpg

I can easily lift a can of beans with the former. Sure the stick will bend a bit, but it's doable. I've also though of making my own one, I think a better approach would be that your squeeze to open it. Then you could have a very string spring at the end

I dropped something down a deep drain once, and improvised a copper waterpipe with a bend at the bottom with a loop of thin copper wire, doubled, pushed through it. This acts as a lasso, (shouldn't that be "oo"....spellcheck doesn't like it). You simply dangle the pipe near your target with an appropriate loop of wire sticking out the end, then pull the wires up at the top end to secure your catch.

Claymore":28fjwf87 said:
transatlantic":28fjwf87 said:
Which ones have you tried? As a wheelchair user, I use these things daily and have gone through loads!

My advice is to go for this type :

41AL1g1PzWL._SL1000_.jpg

But avoid this type:

61C1IPDboFL._SL1500_.jpg

I can easily lift a can of beans with the former. Sure the stick will bend a bit, but it's doable. I've also though of making my own one, I think a better approach would be that your squeeze to open it. Then you could have a very string spring at the end

Thanks for the info I have ordered one of the top ones and look forward to testing it out, I am also looking for something to open bottles and tins etc as Ruth used to help me with them but the metal lids on dye/stains are pretty tough to remove, I used the vice yesterday and moldgrips for leverage :lol: looks awkward but worked which is all that matters.
Thanks again for your help
Brian :)
I've used one of these jar and bottle openers https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kuhn-Rikon-Str ... he+elderly and find it very good.
Regards Keith

I use quick clamps - the irwin sort of ones, for opening jars and such that have become stuck. I clamp the lid once tight, then loosen and move 90 deg and clamp again but keep it clamped and twist, works every time. The first clamp and release helps to break the bond and sort of push the lid into a very tiny elipse which the second clamp and twist then reverses.

Not broken a jar top yet using this method, even when it's beem stuck fast with oil based paint or varnish.

A wooden version, "lasso style" using bike cable or similar might work better than one relying on spring grip strength, because most paint cans etc have a lip, that once lasso'd underneath tightly, it won't slip out of.

To hold it fast when tight maybe use something like a rope clutch on a sailboat - pulls through one way and stays there, then releases by lifting it up and out. Would be quite simple to make actually.

Back