Better grip on steep garden path

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finneyb

Established Member
Reaction score
Steep concrete garden path 2ft wide about 20ft long - looking to make it safer from a falls viewpoint.
Handrail not an option I was thinking along the lines of a skid resistant surface - any suggestions?

Brian

Thanks, but my understanding after some reading is that the paint is not permeable to water and can therefore become too slippy for a slope - perhaps the aggregate in the paint is only small. I think they are cover their b/side to some extent but that's the advice. Maybe something with a larger aggregate eg resin bonded but that is real money and is not DIY.

Brian

Epoxy resin and pea shingle but you seem to have ruled that out?
If you replace the concrete, introduce a non slip surface by using a stiff brush across the width just before the concrete dries.
That’s how the surface on concrete roads is made.

Rod

The problem is there really is no such thing as a non-slip surface. The roughest concrete or tarmac will still trap water which can freeze and turn the whole thing into a skating rink. Moss and mould can do the same.

Some years ago a friend told me that her Welsh mother had no fear of the steep path to the outside privy, because of her new Supagrip wellies!

As Mike says there really isn't such a thing as 'non slip' just some surfaces offer more slip resistance than others!

One trick I've seen used to reasonable effect is a good pressure wash, - enough pressure to remove some of the surface and leave a more resistant top layer. Depends very much on what your original material is of course.

Down side is it needs doing reasonably frequently and does wear away the path!

One option used on timber structures is to attach chicken wire - I'm not sure that's a realistic option but it certainly works on timber.

Another option might be to deliberately roughen the surface texture of the concrete, as long as it can stand up to the punishment, e.g. by scabbling it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scabbling

The main risk would then be that you're increasing the risk of frost damage as water can't run off the surface.

I imagine hiring some scabbling gear for a weekend wouldn't be too pricey.

Cheers, W2S

Thanks for the ideas - the supergrip Wellies look the easiest and probably the best -

Brian

Latest posts

Back