Is it safe to burn Tanalised wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realise the climate is changing, probably for the worst, but unlike the arrogant scientists who believe they can change/control the climate, I realise we have to live with what we have.

The Earth’s climate has been swinging up and down dramatically, long before these so called learned scientists were around.

Next thing they will be telling us that man has been to the Moon. :roll:

Take care.

Chris R.

ChrisR":z3f4g67l said:
I realise the climate is changing, probably for the worst, but unlike the arrogant scientists who believe they can change/control the climate, I realise we have to live with what we have......
They don't say that they can change the climate but rather that there's a chance that we could if we move fast enough to zero fossil-fuel use*. Possibly we don't have to live with what we have. Arrogance has nothing to do with it - more desperation than anything.

Nice to meet a climate change sceptic - a dying breed - not many of them left nowadays!

*And/or carbon dioxide sequestration. Not much prospect of that except in growing wood - and using it in place of high energy input materials. It's all down to us woodworkers!

Jacob":15tz2nab said:
Stuff that is supposedly toxic will end up in the environment anyway so it might as well go up my chimney.

Scrap wood collected at the tip is used for power station co-firing. But it is ground up so that it burns hot, and the chimneys have scrubbers etc on them. I've also heard that the glues in manufactured boards like MDF produce acidic condensate that can shorten the life of stainless flue liners/systems.

I know it is off topic, but I have never quite understood the climate change denial argument that 7 billion people acting together in burning fossil fuels can't really make much difference ?

Sheffield Tony":25dk1xw7 said:
I know it is off topic, but I have never quite understood the climate change denial argument that 7 billion people acting together in burning fossil fuels can't really make much difference ?
60 million year accumulation of carboniferous deposits burned by us in only 200 years, plus massive forest clearance just to make sure! It's mostly going back into the ocean , and also the atmosphere, with catastrophic results in both.

It's NOT it contains poisons that are released when burned

If in doubt don't burn it, The safest timber to use in your fireplace or
BBQ is natural 100% untreated wood.

"The preservation of timber/wood (tanalising) used to be carried out using a mixture of salts of copper sulphate, potassium dichromate and arsenic pentoxide.

The timber was pressure injected with the preservation liquid in large pressure cylinders, after which it was stacked in the yard while still wet with preservation chemicals. It was not sold till completely dry to reduce contamination.

This was fine in dry conditions, but in the wet, the chemicals could leach out, and the arsenic is transferred to the hands simply from touching the timber.

Children, in particular, are prone to use their hands for eating without washing them first, and can get arsenic poisoning as a result. Food plants grown near tanalised decking can accumulate sufficient chromium to cause symptoms of heavy metal poisoning in anyone eating the produce.

A family in the Antipodes (Australasia) used offcuts of tanalised timber on their barbeque. The cooked meat killed their dog and resulted in the prolonged hospitalisation of the entire family.

Recommendations include avoiding drilling or sawing or use a dust mask if this is unavoidable. Wash thoroughly after touching tanalised timber, and avoid use where people are likely to come into direct contact with the treated timber."

I’m not an expert, but I don’t believe arsenic is used in tanalising any more. Seems they are using copper triazole which explains the green staining around knot holes.

Toxic preservatives will poison the environment wherever they go. They might as well go up my chimney.
I've burnt tons of peculiar stuff over the years.
OOps just noticed this is an ancient thread so I'm probably repeating myself.

Back