A New Table For Kate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yojevol

Clocking on
Reaction score
This continues the story of the table first posted in 'A New Homemade Vac Bag ' a couple of months ago.
My daughter Kate had 'convinced' me that I would enjoy making her a new table for her kitchen/diner.
She needed an elliptical pedestal design in American Walnut. It would replace a rather larger oblong table that was getting a bit tired. ( you can see the situation on her website https://www.katelovejoy.com/colour-field).
We looked at the costs and realised the £500 budget needed for a solid timber (sorry, lumber as it's american) was prohibitive. So we agreed on MDF clad in thick veneer on the top, standard veneer underneath and laminated solid wood lipping on the edge. I suggested a fine holly stringing defining the boundary between the thick veneer and the lipping would give it a classy finesse. The pedestal to be a cast aluminium off-the-shelf item. The whole cost would come in at under £500 (Dad's time comes free of course).
Kate wanted to reduce the apparent thickness of the MDF so I devised a shallow chamfer on the underside. This had a major effect on the lipping design and is where the majority of effort would be required. So this is the design:-
Table12.jpg

The first time consuming operation after cutting and shaping the MDF was to apply veneer to the underside. Fortunately I had lots of AW scraps left over from a previous project so these were cut and applied in a radial pattern, giving my new vac bag its christening:-
Table1.jpg

The next operation was to cut a rebate on the underside to take the first of the laminae which were then glued on in 6 stages using this method of clamping:-
Table4.jpg

A lot of clamps required!:-
Table3.jpg

That's the underside assembled, now for he top - cutting the thick veneers on the bandsaw:-
Table2.jpg

After matching and trimming the 5 veneers, gluing them on in the bag and cleaning up the edge (note the AW repair patch on the MDF to the left where I had to fill a gouge made when the whole thing slipped on the spindle moulder), it is ready for the final lippings to go on:-
Table5.jpg

At this stage I thought the wider laminae would need steaming to get them round the tight radius. However they curled up across the width and were scrap. Fortunately I only lost two. A tentative trial clamping indicated that there really wasn't a problem. So press ahead with the next phase of laminae gluing using clamps and wedges:-
Table6.jpg

Here is the underside with the lipping chamfer machined on and the pedestal attachment plate fitted:-
Table8.jpg

And the top completed with the round-over machined and the holly stringing inserted. It is finished with Blanchon hard wax oil with a primer to make it fully moisture resistant:-
Table10.jpg

Fast forward to overall completion and ready for business:-
Table11.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this.
Brian

Attachments

• Table6.jpg
    Table6.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 842
  • Table12.jpg
    Table12.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 842
  • Table1.jpg
    Table1.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 842
  • Table4.jpg
    Table4.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 842
  • Table3.jpg
    Table3.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 842
  • Table2.jpg
    Table2.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 842
  • Table5.jpg
    Table5.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 842
  • Table8.jpg
    Table8.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 842
  • Table10.jpg
    Table10.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 842
  • Table11.jpg
    Table11.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 842
Just superb! Asymmetrical mouldings add so much interest to edging, full credit to you for taking the time to execute it so well.

=D>

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your Holly stringing?

custard":1zq03ljy said:
Just superb! Asymmetrical mouldings add so much interest to edging, full credit to you for taking the time to execute it so well.

=D>

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your Holly stringing?
From my wood store! I picked up a couple of holly planks in an auction a few years ago with just this sort of use in mind.
Brian

Lovely. Well done. If you've any more photos of the process that would be great.

I find stringing to be utterly stomach-churning! Not the result, but the bravery of lowering a spinning router at a beautifully veneered top, with hours and hours of work (and lots of money) wasted if you just tremble at the wrong moment. There's the story of the world's most famous diamond cutter standing with a hammer and chisel* over the world's largest uncut diamond, after weeks and weeks of planning where his first blow would be. He eventually struck the blow, and fainted. Well stringing (or at least, routing out for stringing) has the same sort of effect on me.

* Well, you know, whatever the diamond cutter's equivalent is.

I'd be interested to see what sort of chairs they are proposing to use with this table.

Lovely work, you must be very pleased with it. Thanks for sharing it

MikeG.":2xq1pazp said:
Lovely. Well done. If you've any more photos of the process that would be great.

I find stringing to be utterly stomach-churning! Not the result, but the bravery of lowering a spinning router at a beautifully veneered top, with hours and hours of work (and lots of money) wasted if you just tremble at the wrong moment. There's the story of the world's most famous diamond cutter standing with a hammer and chisel* over the world's largest uncut diamond, after weeks and weeks of planning where his first blow would be. He eventually struck the blow, and fainted. Well stringing (or at least, routing out for stringing) has the same sort of effect on me.

* Well, you know, whatever the diamond cutter's equivalent is.

I'd be interested to see what sort of chairs they are proposing to use with this table.
Thanks for your comments, Mike.
In this case the stringing didn't go quite according to plan. As you can see in the design sketch I cut a little rebate in the first lamina before it was glued on. I sized it at 1.5mm. However there were a few places where the lamina didn't glue fully down so the slot was variable in width. I decided to open up the slot all round to the maximum width of about 2.2mm using a scratch stock. I then tried a sample insert of holly but it didn't look fine enough so I used a veneer filler to bring it back to my original design.
I can understand your apprehension about using a router for this small size. If I were putting a stringing into solid wood I would use a scratch stock and put it in before moulding the edge so I could use the square edge as a guide. A bit laborious, but fully under control.
I would have put one or two more photos on but there seems to be a limit on the number of attachments allowed. Anyway here is one with the up-cycled chairs being used.
Table9.jpg

And Wilbur standing guard!
Brian

Attachments

• Table9.jpg
    Table9.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 773
Back