Startrite 352 bandsaw weight

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodger7

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Can anyone tell me the weight of the Startrite 352 bandsaw please? I am asking because the castors that I have put it on seem to be collapsing and they should take 50 kgs each (x4).
Thanks.

According to my manual, 118kg or 260 lbs.
There are casters & casters. If you've used the small ones normally found on armchairs, they may take the weight but won't stand up to the stresses of movement.

Silly question, but is that 50 kgs EACH? Or shared between the four (12 each)?

Small casters have really tiny weight tolerances.

Casters too small? Moving it about and you can easily get all the weight on just one or two casters. And in any case there is probably more weight on the front than the back.

I had one of the later startrite bandsaws & put it on castors. One day I was taking the nipper to school & it was raining. So in the garage, throw him in his child seat, throw the up & over door up, leap into the Moggy truck fire it up & shoot out the door.
Unfortunately the bandsaw was standing behind the truck & its power lead had fallen of its hook & caught the rear bumper of the truck.
As we exited the door there was a mighty crash behind us as the bandsaw toppled onto its front. I stopped & jumped out & the bandsaw was laying on its front in a cloud of dust. Its table violently twisted. I shut the door & did not dare go in there for two days. It turned out to have twisted the steel mounting plates & was an easy fix but the machine was never quite the same after that.
You will find the Centre of gravity is towards the front of the machine & it makes them a bit tippy. My dad had an identical Startrite bandsaw & in his old age He dropped something, bent down to pick it up & pulled himself up on the bandsaw, it toppled onto him & he wasnt found for half an hour. Fortunately no lasting damage. It was bolted to the floor after that.

Sunny Bob - the castors were 50 kg each so I reckoned that they should take a total weight of 200kg. I think that Jacob has probably pinpointed the problem. When I started to move the bandsaw one of the tyres distorted badly but returned to shape when I had moved it. I now think that excessive weight had been transferred to that wheel.
Ideally I would have left it on its solid base but the lack of space necessitated making it mobile.
Thank you all for your replies.

I've just bought a new bed. The old one had castors that had deformed very badly, even on a smooth tiled floor. As the old bed was going into a guest room I took one of the deformed castors to a builders yard to try to get another set of 4. The guy said "those are rated for 20 kg each".
Theres 200 kg of people on that bed every night (sadly, just the two of us), let alone a HDF super king sized base and an extra firm super king mattress and a large oak headboard! I estimate over 400 and maybe as much as 500 kgs all told, and the manufacturer (I had the bed made to order!) had put castors for 80 kg total

i'm another who feels that tall machinery on castors is a disaster in the making (I've shifted a lot of equipment in my working life, I have seen many scary things)
I would prefer the trolley jack system, where the machine is on a firm base untill the pallet truck is underneath and then back on the firm base as soon as poss.

Yes pallet trucks are good. Not cheap but just one needed for several machines.
I also use a sack trolley. I can just get a 352 on to it with the left hand side of body resting on my shoulder. Cheaper than a pallet truck

Like Jacob, I've moved mine across a gravel drive with a solid sack trolley but in the workshop just move it fairly easily on the 2 integrated front wheels. I have a length of rope tied to the back which helps pull the back up slightly. Are these wheels not fitted to later models?
The bandsaw is bl**dy heavy and I can't imagine tipping it over by leaning on it.

Bob

Back