Why ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
Does this only seem to happen right at the end of a project :-(

It was all glued up and had a first coat of lacquer

I have it final fine sand and was just gently brushing off the dust, ready for a couple more coats to finish it off then send off

Sadly your hands don't seem to have the grip they once did and despite being gentle it came out of my hand and fell to the floor :-(

The result

Attachments

• Clip264.jpg
    Clip264.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 555
Ooh, not a happy day! What a shame, it is such a nice piece.

I guess we've all done it or something similar.

I Once dropped a "Merry Christmas" word art piece I had made. I don't know what wood it was but it was spectacular! It shattered into about a million pieces, oh well okay maybe not quite a million, but lots!

Regards

Phill

It wasn't a total loss

It was out with the superglue, the break was clean and seems to have glued up alright

If it was a sold piece I would have started again but as this was a gift I cheated

It seems pretty solid anyway and just hope its liked by my sis in law

Attachments

• Clip262.jpg
    Clip262.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 536
Looks like it's the narrow and weak short grain that let go.

On some pieces I did for a Schwibbogen that had similar weak points, I saturated with thin CA, does mean you have to be careful with colour change on bare wood and whether it blends in with final finish.
Also have to be aware that it will wick through several millimetres of a porous wood.

Yes one of the problems of using quick produced timber

This started out as the base of a wardrobe, kindly donated by a neighbour over the road :)

Latest posts

Back