Myford lathe ML8

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batfink

Reaction score
Hi People.
So I’m new to wood turning and looking to get my first lathe.
Locally there’s a myford ML8 going for sale and it seems to fit my needs.
I wanted to know if there’s anything that o should look out for when buying a used lathe. Also, is there anything model specific that I should look for?

I would want to see it running if possible, and listen for any rattling or other noises from the headstock. Replacing spindle bearings although not expensive is a bit of a hassle. Check that the tapers inside the headstock and tailstock look smooth (difficult to see though I admit). Check that the tailstock and toolrest can be locked firmly. Also take a look at the motor, if its caked with dust this can cause issues, and also more obvious check that your motor wiring/switch is in good condition. If the motor is a 3 phase one, you cannot plug it into the mains as it is, so find out whether it is single phase or 3 phase. Well worth purchasing a lathe that comes with at least a few accessories and tools if possible.

I have not used an ML8 before myself, maybe some other members can provide more specific advice.

Take stock of what is included by way of accessories. The thread on the mandrel nose (different size and 'hand' inboard and outboard) is pretty much unique to the ML8. Faceplates , chuck backplates and screw chucks do turn up on e**y, but tend to sell for £20 + a throw - new ones, look on Toolpost website for prices but sit down first!

I used to have a ML8. It was ok....
Good for spindle work and small bowl turning, not good for larger bowl turning. Cast iron is better if you can afford it. The Myford accessories such as bandsaw, table saw etc are not worth having. The only one I ever used was the morticing attachment.

Back