John Lloyd's latest blog on jack planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, having just come from the shed using a #51/2 to flatten some mahogany (with a bit of tear-out, to be fair) and then a #4 to smooth it (with next to no tear-out, although I had to sharpen it every 5 minutes), I'm now surprised that I suceeded no BU plane in sight. We all have our (slight) preferences but the bit I didn't really get was that adjustment of the mouth is apparently difficult. If necessary (which it usually isn't on a jack or bigger) undo 2 screws, turn the centre screw a fraction, do the 2 screws up (on a Bedrock design..OK, he did acknowledge that). Doesn't sound so hard and isnt much harder on a standard Stanley/Record.

Re-setting the thing up after sharpening is easy. Although many don't agree, the old Stay Set cap iron, in my recent experience, makes it even easier to both hone and re-set in the plane so the whole operation takes but seconds. Sadly (IMHO), these are now things of the past, but I really like them... each to their own I suppose.

Cheers :?
Richard

Have two Stay-Sets-one one my #3 Clifton, with the bottom popped off, bit of honing, then back to the job. The other is on a #5, bought for a Stanley. This plane gets more sharpening attention, and for it, I used a David C. tip-a bit of silicone to hold the two piece cap together. Geometry of the cap also does a bit more than just give easier honing access (or so I've heard!), but is not really what a #5 would need.

I think the chance that Lloyd has, or would, task himself with completing the surface preparation of every square inch of broad surface that ends up in a finished furniture project, all off the plane, is beyond remote and this would remain the case even he had some sort of cap iron epiphany.

Back