Henry Taylor ellsworth bowl gouge sharpening on pro edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopCat 32

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, any one got a 5/8 henry Taylor ellsworth fingernail bowl gouge, and sharpening it on a pro edge. i just bought the gouge and wondered what settings i needed for the jigs, i just offered it up on the standard fingernail jig and it seems a bit off , do i need the long grind jig? and any idea of the length of the chisel through the holder? any help greatly appreciated

Tim

Have you tried “painting” the edge and wings with a marker pen? Offering the edges then to the abrasive, which you can turn by hand will scratch the marker off, revealing where the grind would cut. You can fine tune the grind on the front edge by altering the protrusion, but the wing adjustment will need the lock-in collar on the jig to be loosened and moved. Personally I wouldn’t bother if it’s near. You could also forgo the jig and use your Proedge freehand. I sometimes do this, and it’s not too difficult. You can still use a marker pen to show where material is being removed from.

I'd also like to find these settings as I want to try sharpening this grind using a belt sander, not a pro edge. The numbers are out there for almost every other method including the tormek.
I think you WILL need a long grind jig, and for all the other jigs (including X) except the tormek, you're advised to put the tip 2inches out from the front edge of the jig.
I'd be tempted to call Sorby. They must have figured this out.

Honest John":3uatod1l said:
Have you tried “painting” the edge and wings with a marker pen? Offering the edges then to the abrasive, which you can turn by hand will scratch the marker off, revealing where the grind would cut. You can fine tune the grind on the front edge by altering the protrusion, but the wing adjustment will need the lock-in collar on the jig to be loosened and moved. Personally I wouldn’t bother if it’s near. You could also forgo the jig and use your Proedge freehand. I sometimes do this, and it’s not too difficult. You can still use a marker pen to show where material is being removed from.

Cheers john yes tried marking the edges, but seems a mile off, think I need the long grind jig, but thanks for the head's up about altering the collar to set the wings

Sideways":2atztq2z said:
I'd also like to find these settings as I want to try sharpening this grind using a belt sander, not a pro edge. The numbers are out there for almost every other method including the tormek.
I think you WILL need a long grind jig, and for all the other jigs including the tormek, you're advised to put the tip 2inches out from the front edge of the jig.
I'd be tempted to call Sorby. They must have figured this out.

yes sure the numbers are out there , I did try calling Henry Taylor ,but they just sent me to a yank website that showed a Taylor ellsworth gouge sharpened on a CNC wheel, so I guess next port of call will be sorbys, I have found out I need the long grind jig , so may get that and have a play

Paraphrased from the Tormek manual.

Ellsworth grind
This has a 60 deg edge angle and the wings are more convex.
The shape is achieved with a 75mm protrusion and with the Tormek jig set one step above the 5 setting (no. 6 in effect)

This is obviously for the round grinding wheel but should be a starting point for the pro edge.

I personally don't keep moving the Jig angle, just alter the extension for one gouge and use the three hole extended pivot block to achieve form nose angle variations that I like. I have no use for the extremes of the Ellsworth with the turning I do.
p20.jpg

Attachments

• p20.jpg
    p20.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 643
TopCat 32":38gq8n4j said:
Hi, any one got a 5/8 henry Taylor ellsworth fingernail bowl gouge, and sharpening it on a pro edge. i just bought the gouge and wondered what settings i needed for the jigs, i just offered it up on the standard fingernail jig and it seems a bit off , do i need the long grind jig? and any idea of the length of the chisel through the holder? any help greatly appreciated

Tim
I’ve got the setting in the workshop for 5/8 Elsworth on the Proedge. You definitely need the long grind jig holder. The standard one has too small a radius. I’ll be up there tomorrow and jog them down.

Phil

Back