Wooden plane I.D.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskywill

Established Member
Reaction score
What is this plane used for? I picked it up at this morning's boot sale. It is 300mm long x 45mm wide x 45mm deep. The groove is 12mm x 12mm.
26.4.18 048.jpg

26.4.18 050.jpg

26.4.18 050.jpg

26.4.18 051.jpg

Attachments

• 26.4.18 048.jpg
    26.4.18 048.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 547
  • 26.4.18 050.jpg
    26.4.18 050.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 545
  • 26.4.18 050.jpg
    26.4.18 050.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 547
  • 26.4.18 051.jpg
    26.4.18 051.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 547
I think it's probably a spill plane.

If you can find a bit of wood thin enough to fit in the groove, I think you will see that the very low angle blade will split off a long thin sliver of wood from the edge, which could then be used to light a candle, pipe etc from an open fire.

These were often user made rather than commercial so there are many variations on the theme. Sometimes the plane was fixed (or held in a vice) and the wood moved along it; sometimes the wood was fixed as usual and the plane was moved.

Don't spill planes have a skewed blade to make curly shavings?

I would have said its home made for sizing tongues.

Pete

Good point Pete. Now that I've had a look in a couple of books I think I am wrong and you are right.
There were planes for splitting off thick, untwisted strips - called spelks - as used for small cheese boxes and similar. This one looks too small and lightweight for that.
Does it take a normal shaving if it is used on a thin board or oversized tongue?

Given it is made from relatively small pieces screwed together rather than morticed, it looks like a user made special to me. I thought spill plane briefly too, but having researched them to make one myself, quickly dismissed the idea.

Low angle, so perhaps end grain use ? But why ? Is the depth stop an important feature ? Trimming a tongue to length ? Dunno.

Is the iron made from a bit of hacksaw blade? I just spotted the hole in the end.

Thinking about who might have needed it, it's probably not been made by an ordinary joiner or cabinetmaker - standard tools exist to meet their needs.
So I would guess that it would have been made and used by a patternmaker. The range of special odd shapes that they needed to produce was infinite. They always needed to work to exact dimensions too, and one feature of this plane is that it would reduce a narrow projection to an exact height - 12mm - as the wide body works as a depth stop. If a patternmaker needed to make a batch of patterns, all with exactly dimensioned ribs or rims or something, it could have been worth his time to make a special plane. He'd certainly have had the ability - indeed it was perfectly normal for patternmakers to make their own tools.

That's all speculation of course, and although I can't prove it, I don't think anyone can disprove it! :)

Not all spills / tapers were spiralled, remember the time you were allowed to play with fire in Chemistry at school and the bits of wood were straight?
If you get the right flawless straight grained timber for this it should work well.
Note the way the wedge goes all the way through on one side of blade only.
The other side is left clear with a gap all the way up to allow the exit of the wood. This is in real terms the mouth of the plane. Note there is no side mouth.
Also note that normal woodshavings are going to have trouble exiting this setup.
I have got and seen other planes with similar workings to this including a rather rare Matchmaking plane by Moseley. One of mine is a bit wider and utilizes a couple of scribes before the cut to divide the "shaving" into 3 parts.
I should for your benefit now picture a couple of mine but finding them ain't gonna be easy :oops: #-o
Cheers Andy

So what happens when you use it?
Does it make a normal shaving or a long, thick strip/spelk/spill?

AndyT":24hjxnjx said:
So what happens when you use it?
Does it make a normal shaving or a long, thick strip/spelk/spill?

It doesn't make anything for me. It just jammed up.

It could well be a spill plane as the only exit for the shavings is along the length of the blade and out through a small slot.
This is similar. https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&t ... -siu8g0ovM:

A pic of the blade and wedge out of the plane would help. From the sole picks I see blade at one level and the end of the wedge at the other which does not look right. If the blade end is stepped then it would have made a stepped rebate or edge in one go. User made by the look of it and unless you have a go with it we will never know if things worked out for that user.
Regards
John.

Latest posts

Back