Parts of a handsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tasky

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a search of the forum, but found nothing particularly illuminating...

I just wondered if there's a resource anywhere that explains the reason/purpose of all the parts and features of a handsaw?

Some things are obvious, like the back, the toe, the teeth, the skew... but what about bits like the horns, the hounds tooth, the lamb's tongue, the beak...?

It's not exactly what you are asking for, but if you find yourself looking at saws and realising just how many variants there are, and wondering why, then I reckon Simon Barley's book "British Saws a History and Collector's Guide" could be something you would enjoy. I thought I had written a review on here but I can't find it so I'll just point you to the publisher's website https://www.amberley-books.com/british-saws.html

It's similar to the opening chapters of his great big book, but without the long checklist of makers.

The horns serve to position your hand where it should be on the handle, and the lower horn acts as a brace against which the web of the hand can bear when starting, and you're supporting the weight of the saw to just stroke the tips of the teeth against the work. Once you're into the cut and relax your grip, the horns prevent the handgrip slipping out of the hand. Whether thy are really essential or not is moot - after all, they became gradually smaller and smaller as time went by, and finally disappeared altogether on modern hardpoint saws.

On 19th century hand and rip saws, there's a dip on the top of the handle that your thumb drops neatly into when you're sawing two-handed. The fingers wrap over the top of the handle forward of the grip. There's also, of course, the famous 'thumbhole rip' handle, specifically designed for two-handed use - arguably another non-essential gee-gaw to bling up a basic tool and sell it at a better price.

Pretty much everything else is decorative, I reckon. Can't think of any use for the lamb's tongue; indeed, it's only the fancier saws that have one. Bit like medallions - strictly bling, or a chance for the manufacturer or handle-maker to show off their artistic taste.

If that sounds snarky, it's not meant to be (well, maybe a little bit!). I very much like 19th century saw handles, not least because they seemed better sized to the average hand than many later ones.

Hmm... I'd hoped there were practical reasons for all the little nicks and peaks and things.

That's an interesting thread... I have wondered about the index finger down the side of the dovetail/tenon saw, and noted how it seems to fit trigger-style quite well into the curve of the beak on top... but then wondered what purpose was served by the little crease/ridge bits fore and aft of said beak.

I mainly use a three-fingered grip, because these saws are too small for all mine to fit.
I assume there's no discernible reason for a pistol grip over closed handle styles, either?

With the pistol grip (open) handle my impression is that there are two factors that matter. One is just the space - a small dovetail saw will have a plate only 2 - 2 1/2" deep and there's not enough room for a closed handle with three screws.
The other factor is "hang" - the angle of the handle to the plate. Easily overlooked, this can make a world of difference to how controllable a saw is. Getting it right will also depend on how the work is going to be supported and how tall the user is.

To see the range of angles, take several apparently similar saws and stack them up - you'll be able to see the difference.

Back