Flat Screwdriver for Adjusting Handtools( Planes) ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make some infill planes! :) Without power tools. That'll give you a good chance to wear out some files (and body floats, and all kinds of stuff).

I've thought about the breakage part, too. For better or worse, there's a Harbor Freight at the bottom of my hill (where the area switches from residential to commercial). Fortunately, out of sound and sight thanks to the hills in Pittsburgh, we don't hear any traffic or commercial anything. However, handy for anything broken, so I can replace a broken screwdriver with a 20 minute walk (to and from). I haven't broken one, though - not even the one that I cut for split nuts (and that one flexes some when working them).

The cheapies could be tempered to saw temper, too...or just ground until they're blue.

Tasky":3s78i9ch said:
I used to use it for my poor-man's marking gauge (sharp screw head in a bit of wood) too, but I've since found a nice enough real one.

Nothing wrong with that. Anything that leaves a nice line is good enough, and if you're just breaking down board, something that leaves a rough one is probably better, too.

D_W":39m696xm said:
Nothing wrong with that. Anything that leaves a nice line is good enough, and if you're just breaking down board, something that leaves a rough one is probably better, too.
The replacement Marples one has a slotted screw instead of a thumb or wheeled one, so screwdriver still needed anyway! :lol:

David, at the risk of appearing to have a tool fetish, I recommend a tiny jeweler's hammer (to adjust the blade laterally, as with a woodie ... very fine increments - I do so with Stanley as well), and this hex driver for the Veritas Custom plane chipbreaker. The driver really makes it easier to adjust the chipbreaker than on a Stanley and LN. With the Veritas, the chipbreaker screw is facing you as you adjust the chipbreaker.

Custom-plane-tools1a-1_zps0dqmnrit.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have a tool fetish!! Certain areas, but not others. We're all like that, though.

I've come to prefer my other planes over the veritas custom plane, which I received from LV pre-production in the interest of full disclosure. It's a nice plane, but I'm used to the proportions of the stanley (where the mouth is relative to the handle, etc). So, I'm not sure I could justify a special driver.

I do like steel on steel for the small hammers, though, and adjust all of my planes laterally with either a tack hammer or a small vintage stanley ball pein hammer (6 ounces or something) that I found online at one point. I strike the back of the wooden ones with the round face on a gennou, too. I'm sure some would advise against both of those because they will both leave a mark. The directness really appeals to my laziness, though.

Back