Nuisance phone calls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BT Protect is brilliant - other telcos will have similar.
I've blocked all overseas calls and got a replacement windows call yesterday from a UK number - that is now blocked.

Brian

If I don't recognise the number, or it's withheld, I don't answer it. Scammers don't leave messages. Never felt the need to answer a ringing phone if I don't want to. Genuine people will usually leave a message. It makes for a very peaceful life - especially as we don't get a mobile signal here 8)

Thanks for the interesting replies. My main reason for posting was, how do they access your computer?
Do you have to allow it or can they gain access by being connected by the phone line? Sorry if it is a stupid question but I am not very computer savvy.
When I was with Virgin they took control of my computer to fix a wifi connectivity problem but I can't remember how they did it..

Bill

banjerbill":262uqv4q said:
Thanks for the interesting replies. My main reason for posting was, how do they access your computer?
Do you have to allow it or can they gain access by being connected by the phone line? Sorry if it is a stupid question but I am not very computer savvy.
When I was with Virgin they took control of my computer to fix a wifi connectivity problem but I can't remember how they did it..

Bill

They connet through something called remote access. Basically, if both computers are connected to the internet, and you grant them access from your machine, they can log in and do whatever they want.

banjerbill":slez5a9w said:

transatlantic":slez5a9w said:
They connect through something called remote access. Basically, if both computers are connected to the internet, and you grant them access from your machine, they can log in and do whatever they want.

Which is why you should only allow that if you call them, not if they call you.

There was a case awhile ago of a small business who did have a problem with their system. They rang the bank and was told they would get a call back.

Very shortly afterwards, they did indeed get a call back, which they thought was excellent customer service. Unfortunately it was scammers who just happened to time it right. The company, of course, gave them access.

The company lost hundreds of thousands.

Instead of playing dumb (which I would expect they would be more interested in), it might be better to "play smart". Pretend you're a software engineer and that you know what they're up to.

transatlantic":3vdz23bl said:
Instead of playing dumb (which I would expect they would be more interested in), it might be better to "play smart". Pretend you're a software engineer and that you know what they're up to.

Thats why I said ask them for the MAC address.

Pete

My mother was receiving calls several times a day. They called while I was there on one occasion so I spoke to them and the calls have not occurred since...

They were saying there was a problem with Windows they had to fix and to log on etc. I said I could not be bothered, saying I did not care about the problem but thanking them for their diligence. They escalated to their "supervisor" who explained how the Windows licence would have to be revoked if I did not allow them to fix the problem to which I said that was fine, and that I was not a big fan of Windows anyway so it was not really a problem for me... (Thanking them, once again, for informing me...) He was getting angrier by the second; continually repeating I would not be able to use my computer etc. To which I explained, at length, how I thought that was probably a good thing as far too much time is spent on computers these days... I left them nowhere to go with their threats.

I have thought of saying “I think there is someone in the house” then screaming loudly and putting the phone down.

Pete

I subscribe to the preference service, but I still get them. I hand them to the boy who has an IQ the size of a minor planet, probably figures somewhere on the autistic spectrum (although we've never had him tested) and gets totally anal about things. You'd be amazed how long he can string them along. :D

Two choices - end call immediately once established it is a scam or waste their time.

Usually adopt the first and add to blocked caller list on phone.

The second also wastes my time. Annoying the caller seems satisfying but won't reduce the volume of calls - a lose lose solution!

I seem to have had a spate of calls about my car 'accident'. Mostly from 0161. Apart from the fact hat I try to string term along by asking which car and whereabouts this happened, I now save the number with the name 'Do not answer 01' or 02 etc. I'm on 12 at the moment.

ps, don't try calling me!!

Phil

Back