Doorknob advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Barto

👍
Reaction score
Hello,

I had a request from a family friend to make a couple of bun shaped door knobs. I have some nice oak of which I was going to use but they've also suggested using burrs (is it burr or burl? :? ).

So one of my questions is, is a burr/burl going to work for a doorknob? Is there anything to look out for with them? I'm by no means an expert at turning but I've done a couple of similar shapes before. I'm more concerned about the material in question, especially one I haven't used before.

Second question, these knobs are for a swinging glass door, can anyone suggest a way of attaching them? I was thinking some sort of very short threaded rod in the middle that both knobs screw in to.

Any help most welcome!

Burr or burl normally turns very nicely as it is a tight curly grain, simple fininsh with oil always looks good and is hard wearing, if you use a screw chuck to mount them on it will also five you a centre for threaded rod to be eopxied in place. nice simple project which will look good. if on glass doors consider a felt back to protect the glass where the wood meets and will give a nice clean look from the reverse.

If you've not done much turning then be careful to take light cuts - like any thread, a screw chuck will strip if there is too much torque applied.

Burr here and burl in the US. The burr has grain in all directions as long as you take it easy and it is solid there should be no problems. Not having seen the doors I will leave the fitting to you

Seem to be a number of examples online of using burr for handles so seems others have done it successfully.

F.

Thanks fellas. Appreciate it. Unfortunately I have misplaced my chuck so this whole thing is now out the window (unless anyone wants to sell me one). :roll:

I would approach this job using a 'threaded insert' in each Knob - see http://www.theinsertcompany.com/steel_h ... headed.php

That's just an example there are many suppliers of the same product.

Make fitting them the first thing you do and use a threaded rod in a chuck to hold the blank for turning. Finally use an appropriate length of threaded rod to fix the two together. Definitely use felt as a buffer between the glass and wood.

El Barto what lathe do you have at the moment and what attachments do you already have as well as what turning experience do you have. I think this would be a good place to start

Dalboy":zcm8td0k said:
El Barto what lathe do you have at the moment and what attachments do you already have as well as what turning experience do you have. I think this would be a good place to start

I have a Draper WTL90. I DID have a suitable old chuck but it looks like I put it in the box of stuff that went with my old lathe when I sold it. Woops. Oh well. I have limited experience, probably turned a dozen or so spindles and one new front knob for a bench plane.

I'm going to pass on this project for now anyway but thank you for the help guys!

Back