Shutting off a gas fire

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finneyb

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had the chimney stack taken down, therefore cannot use the gas fire - we don't usually.

Want to leave the fire in place if I turn off the gas with the two valves below is that acceptable?

Brian
Gas Fire.JPG

Attachments

• Gas Fire.JPG
    Gas Fire.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 515
I think if the chimney stack is down for good I would get a plumber in to disconnect it fully, the last thing you want is someone turning the valves back on and trying to use it without a flue.

If the chimney is down for good, then fire MUST be disconnected and the pipe capped.

Strict letter of the law states that any work done on a gas pipe MUST be done by a suitably qualified gas fitter, a plumber without gas qualifications is not allowed to do this job.

I have known many cases of someone shutting off the main gas valve, removing the valve at the fireplace, and tightly fitting a 1/2" mild steel (NOT galvanised) cap using PTFE thread on the pipe thread.
then turning the main gas back on and testing all visible joints at that area for leaks with a solution of washing up liquid and water, Any sign of a bubble in the liquid shows a leak.

But you should get a qualified person to do all that for you.

sensible.

he will do a pressure leak down at the inlet test port once complete and provide a gas safe certificate.

Back