Record Power Bench Grinder 8"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alie Barnes

Established Member
Reaction score
I am after a new bench grinder and I recently contacted RP about the bench grinder and they have been discontinued, i was interested in the 8", apparently a new 6" is released in end of May and the 8" at end of September, anyone know if its worth trying to get hold of the old ones or wait for the newer? ill take an alternative recommendation if anyone has one?

thanks

I have a RP 8 inch grinder that I'm looking to sell (because I got a Sorby ProEdge). I was going to put it on the sales board but don't have enough posts yet. PM me if you're interested and are anywhere near Durham as it'll need to be collected from there.

I’d want to see it running if buying one. I had one and found balancing the stones very difficult and that the manufacturing tolerances were very variable. Issue is that the wide white wheel is dished and often the hole wasn’t concentric with the dish so large vibration was an Inevitable outcome and couldn’t be dressed out.

You may be luckier but ............

I bought an 8" RP a while back with the intention of putting CBN wheels on it after a while. I have never been so unimpressed by any machine. Everything was very poor, bad fits, huge tolerances and generally very rough. I then bought some CBN wheels only to discover RP had shortened the shafts and they were too short to run the CBN's. I had a bit of a huff at RP and they were very good about it and I returned it. I then bought a Metabo and all was sweet.
The older models will take CBN's, not sure when the change happened, RP didn't seem to know either.

I have the 8" and it wasn't balanced. Complained to Record and they took 4 or so months to send me a new stone (as apparently they were out of stock for that long ...my buttocks). Asside from that issue, I woudn't buy one again, just generally poor quality. I'd spend a little more and get something from Axminster. Or even better, the Pro-Edge, but that is hugely expensive.

I bit the bullet 15 years ago and purchased a Creusen, perfect straight out of the box, still going strong and used a lot!! Sometimes its worth spending a little extra to get the quality and reliability.

Back