Mitre Saw from Screwfix

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdavies777

Reaction score
plug.jpg

Bought a mitre saw a few months ago but only opened it yesterday.

I was expecting a normal uk plug for the power lead but no, it has a connector as per this photo.

What do i need to get this working - an adapter of some sort?

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,410
That's a 110v connector by the looks. You will need a transformer, about £50.

EDIT ****

Oh s**t, I hang my head is shame when I saw Matthews reply.

Thank God he replied :shock:

Life is for learning

That's a 240V 16 amp connector, so yeah, you'll need the to wire in the corresponding blue socket to your normal domestic supply.

Not sure if adaptors exist as 16 amp will blow domestic plug fuses.

240 (220) volt single phase plugs above 13 amp are blue. 110 volt plugs are yellow.
3 phase plugs are red (and have more pins).

It is possible you could run that saw on a 13 amp supply, but there is a risk of nuisance tripping each time you turn it on.

The most powerful saw on the screwfix website is 2150W, so well within the running current of a 13A socket. As most UK sockets are wired to a 20A or 32A MCB chances are your start current won't knock the breaker out - try it and see. My 305mm 2400W evolution disk cutter works fine off a 13A socket. In fact I recently accidentally used it with a 3kW fan heater plugged in to the same extension (whoops) and I'd cut 3 bricks before the 13A fuse in the extension blew. MCB stayed up. There is a fair bit of "headroom".

Also, note the EU 16A blue plug is NOT fused. In the UK we fuse the plugs to protect the cable.

You have 3 choices:

1). Buy an adapter off ebay which will be a blue 16amp trailing socket connected by a short cable to a 13amp plug. Look under caravan accessories.

2). Make up your own. The sockets are cheap and available from screwfix, toolstation and caravan accessory shops. ( I have one I made up for my touring caravan).

3). Take the plug off, it's just a couple of screws and fit a standard 13 amp plug in its place.

I would go for option 3 if it was me but check the rating plate on your saw first.

cheers
Bob
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/240V-16-AMP- ... QGOwRvtTKA

Attachments

• hook up.jpg
    hook up.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 239
Which saw did you buy, I find it odd it would have that kind of plug. Since that is only a stock photo, are you sure it isn't a 110V saw?

A link to the actual saw you bought or some pictures of the saw rating plate are needed really.

Rorschach":23pp9yeo said:
Which saw did you buy, I find it odd it would have that kind of plug. Since that is only a stock photo, are you sure it isn't a 110V saw?

A link to the actual saw you bought or some pictures of the saw rating plate are needed really.
Yep, definitely need to check the saw voltage and rating but as far as I know, blue is for 240v, yellow for 110v and red for 415v. I thought the colours were a requirement in the UK and if so then would be surprised at Scewfix selling a 110v machine with a blue plug.

That is just a stock picture though, we don't know the colour of the plug as the OP didn't specify, we just know it is a 3 pin plug that looks like that. I am guessing the OP has probably bought a 110v saw.

Hmm... must agree that it does actually seem far more likely it's a 110v yellow plug with the machine, fairly common for mitre saws, mine included.

In which case there are two options...

1) Sell it and buy a 240v machine, or
2) Go back to Screwfix and buy one of these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/portable-tra ... 3kva/84144

71NtggeMDpL._SY450_.jpg

I had to do the same and have found since then it's been very useful as I was able to buy a 110v track saw and circular saw to use with it, and for working outside on projects at home as I regularly do, it's invaluable.

I cant work out why youre all getting so excited about it being 110 volt.

In the original post, line two of a three line post states "it has a connector as per this photo".
I know I complain about the colours on the new layout here, but that is a BLUE plug.
Blue plugs are supplied for 220/240 volt machines.
Commonly fitted now to large power motors to get the manufacturers out of liability claims if the start up trips a sensitive 13 amp circuit, by saying that the machine needs a 16 amp supply.

Because the biggest mitre saw screwfix sells is 2150W, which would use a 13amp plug easily.
What's more likely, the OP has bought a honking great fixed mitre saw that requires a 16amp supply and I we can't see screwfix selling, or they didn't know the colour mattered, since they have never seen this type of plug before and it is indeed yellow?

it's all just conjecture though until the op posts a pic, make and model or the actual rating! :!:

Lons":21sxjcjo said:
You have 3 choices:

1). Buy an adapter off ebay which will be a blue 16amp trailing socket connected by a short cable to a 13amp plug. Look under caravan accessories.

2). Make up your own. The sockets are cheap and available from screwfix, toolstation and caravan accessory shops. ( I have one I made up for my touring caravan).

3). Take the plug off, it's just a couple of screws and fit a standard 13 amp plug in its place.

I would go for option 3 if it was me but check the rating plate on your saw first.

cheers
Bob

Bob has given the best options. I totally agree with him.

Folk here are concerned that you have bought a 110V rated saw with a plug that looks like this but coloured yellow. If that's the case, you can't run it from the mains without a transformer. I assume that's not something you intended so much easier to take it back than mess about.

Lastly, as a couple of posters have explained this is a 220V 16A rated CE standard connector used in industry all over Europe. Your saw "probably" doesn't need this for any good reason and Bob has given you the options.
What you should NOT do is wire a matching blue 16A socket straight into any of your existing ring circuits or 20A spurs. CE connectors not like domestic plugs, they don't have a fuse and are not safe or approved to be used like that.

As others have said until we know which saw we can't be sure, the op says mitre saw but might actually be getting confused with a sliding table saw, Screwfix sell some Scheppach table saws which require 16 amp supply.

Back