Faulty lathe motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanJ

Reaction score
Hi im the new guy :D

I have recently been getting into woodworking and have inherited a lathe from my Granddad. However after a few minutes the motor tripped the board. There is a short somewhere but im pretty rubbish at electronics so any ideas would be great.
I have checked the main power cable and it is fine so im guessing the short is internal somewhere.

Many thanks in advance for any help

here is the info
motor.jpg

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 992
Their should be a capacitor some where under a bulge like cover, its most likely to be the problem if its bulged then its defiantly the problem.
Replacement from eBay post a picture if you are stuck.

Pete

Hi there , thanks for the help.

im not sure which one is the capacitor , but i cant see any bulges or damage to either

motor 2.jpg

Attachments

• motor 2.jpg
    motor 2.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 969
You will need to open them up to find the capacitors, I should have said that.

Pete

Looks like it, the next thing to do is pull it out and find what value it is.
You will have to cut/desolder the wires, but don’t worry it doesn’t matter which way round they go.
Post a picture and I will point you in the right direction for a replacement.

Pete

Ive got it out of the case but i see no markings on it

5.jpg

Do i need to remove black epoxy looking stuff from the top ?

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 856
The value is usually on the side, you are a bit stuffed if it hasn't got one, I would ring a local motor rewinders they should be able to advise/supply you with a replacement.

Pete

10 µ F440VRMS = 10 micro farad 440v now you can buy new ones. :)
electrolytic do have a directionality, but as they are operating on AC not DC it doesn't matter as pete has said.

Well i replaced the capacitor that looked like it had possibly been damaged , but it still tripped the fuse. I then replaced the second capacitor, but still the same problem.

Perhaps you need a 16 amp supply. I had something similar happening and all I had to do was replace one of the mcbs in the fuse box with a slightly different one.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Is there a clicking/ticking sound when you run the motor? If so could be a sticky or damaged starter switch.

At that motor size it should be fine on a normal circuit. Just to be sure though, have you tried on another circuit in the house, might be that your MCB is very sensitive.

Do you have a multimeter?, might be worth checking for a ground fault too.

Back