Winter Hiatus & New Projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Barto

👍
Reaction score
I've gotta say, this bleak winter we've had really killed my enthusiasm to be in the workshop and that is not a nice feeling. I was in there less and less, conducive to the weather, until we got that patch of sub-zero temperatures and I just gave up. I knew I wanted to be making things but at the same time I had no desire or motivation to do it ever again.

So I decided to get some sun and drove to Portugal for a couple of weeks. And it was while driving through hundreds of kilometres of olive groves and farms that I began to get that familiar stir of wanting to get my hands on some wood and do something with it. Many of the olive trees were being heavily pruned and cut back, with the branches either being left on the ground or burned. I kept an eye out for any thick looking offcuts and gathered some as I went. I hadn't thought to bring any tools with me, a shame because what better way to spend a mild evening than whittling, especially unknown woods that I'd picked up on the road? In fact at one beach I arrived at after a few miles of long dirt tracks I met another guy who was indeed doing just that, sitting on the stoop of his campervan; I was jealous. But now I know for next time and when I got home I quickly knocked up my first spoon and thankfully I thought to myself, "oh yeah, now I remember".

YC4Ymru.jpg

DonoosI.jpg

ZCV4d8D.jpg

And since then I've been in the workshop most days, largely in part to it no longer being freezing but mostly because I want to be there. It feels great. And now I've been asked by my aunt to make some gates for my uncle's birthday. Normally when someone finds out that you are a woodworker they, at some point, ask you to make or fix something really boring. That's been my experience at least. But I was pleasantly surprised by this request. The photo is of some gates in Morocco that they loved and want to replicate - I think it could be a fun build.

DcJdnOv.jpg

As with so much old furniture, they look like they were built out of necessity using materials that were readily available and I'd like to do something similar, working with imperfections and the like. Perhaps with hazel as it grows in such abundance around here and is so flexible. Each piece could be picked based upon where it's supposed to go on the gate, curved on top etc. I'm not trying to exactly copy the photo. Anybody got any thoughts? Perhaps a more suitable wood to use?

Hope to hear some suggestions!

What an enjoyable green woodworking project! It looks like it was made by gathering enough small growth coppiced wood to make one gate, then splitting each piece in half. Result - a matched set of pieces, all with the grain running right through them, for max strength.
Assuming you don't have a twybil or small mortising axe, I think the best way to get the mortices is to bore a row of holes with a suitable sized auger bit, then pare the sides with a big chisel. Tenons can be shaped to a slant with a billhook or hatchet.

I believe hazel would be ideal, but maybe a real green woodworker will be along soon.

Tony!

Ps. Yes I think you're right about using an auger to bore the mortises. Seems to be the most efficient method and then like you said, pare then tenons to size.

I remember seeing gates in Majorca like that, they stuck in my mind.
I also made a spoon at the weekend mine is in lilac, I will post a photo later.

Pete

El Barto":1hm6270a said:

I'm not really that much into the aesthetic, beautiful, Paul Sellers Blog type feely stuff of woodworking... But that spoon with that grain in that colour looks really good!!!
Makes me want to have a go at it own myself!

AndyT":1hm6270a said:
Assuming you don't have a twybil
I've never heard of that... sounds like some cutesy, miniature form of a three-bladed axe tool, or something!!
The Wiki page on it was most informative, as well as introducing me to a load more oddly-named tools - Today must be Teaching Tuesday!

Tasky":7mhb0a68 said:
El Barto":7mhb0a68 said:

I'm not really that much into the aesthetic, beautiful, Paul Sellers Blog type feely stuff of woodworking... But that spoon with that grain in that colour looks really good!!!
Makes me want to have a go at it own myself!

Ha thanks Tasky! No I think I agree that the artisan-maker kinds of people can sometimes be a bit much, especially in the age of Instagram and such, but if you strip away the faff you're left with a really enjoyable little project that can be completed in an hour or two and requires few tools. It couldn't be simpler really.

I'd be happy to send you an olive blank if you do want to try it out, I've got loads left. Same goes to anyone really...

My spoon and mushrooms tyrned/carved from green Lilac that has a fungal attack, it was a bit spongy in places and cracked a treat.
I need to do some finishing once they are dry/throw them away...

Lilac spoon and mushrooms by Racers, on Flickr

The spoon was done all with hand tools, axe, home made knives and hook knives.

Pete

Google 'cleaving brake' mate. And draw horse. And drawknife'vintage found in barn needs work etc etc' look out for good old brands like Elwell, or if you're flush a maker like Ray Iles or similar.
https://www.billhooks.co.uk/definition/etymology/
You'll be knocking out hurdles, producing charcoal, eating mushrooms in September when the rain is just right (ahem... ) and debating the finer points of live or dead hedging in no time mate.

Careful now.
:D

El Barto":22t4epkn said:
Andy that is a genius idea. I hadn't actually considered just splitting the pieces in half. Mind blown.

I agree, I think Andy is spot on with that assessment. Take the bark and pith off, split them, and fit, leave them as they come. Maybe lightly plane the split sides just to get the worst of the roughness off to help rain shed, otherwise leave them as rustic as you can get away with.

They look lovely, real character, I can see why your Aunt liked them.

I'd use oak or sweet chestnut - both are durable (hazel rots very quickly - hurdles were made from it but were generally only used for temporary/short-term purposes), cleave easily and can be found in thick enough pieces to make 'mirror image' pieces like the picture.

The gates look quite like traditional chestnut/oak hurdles - here's one example of how to do it - note cleaving with a froe. It might be easier to find oak in nice curving pieces, chestnut grows very straight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu-krmViaKg

Cheers, W2S

Thanks for that, will check it out. I'll have a think about using oak - I didn't actually consider that hazel might not be durable enough. I'm lucky to have access to quite a lot of woodland around me, I'll have to go on a hunt!

EDIT: That video is brilliant

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'm finally starting on these gates in the next week or two. I don't think it's going to be that challenging but I was hoping someone could offer some advice on whether I glue them or not. Was the idea behind traditionally made hurdles that the shrinkage of the wood creates a tighter joint over time?

I'm using sweet chestnut and although the gates won't last forever I'd like to get a few years out of them so if gluing prolongs their life then glued they shall be.

I'm no expert (OMG! Surely not I hear you all cry!) but no glue would be used traditionally mate.
Shrinkage comes into it but I would guess most gates and so on were pegged or maybe draw bored if it was a nice gate.
Green woodwork is generally glueless afaik. If your talkin' Windsor chair I can't help and Sheffield Tony might be along but I have done loads of fencing palings/hurdles/drystone walling etc etc albeit some years ago.
I'm making assumptions because traditional skills would be more available and maybe, when you think about it, sensibilities too were very different.
What we may think of now when we see hurdles etc might evoke a different reaction in someone who only ever saw hurdles because you used hurdles because that was what was available locally as fencing and was free apart from labour and ergo was the go to fence in that area because hazel coppice etc was available and nothing else was therefore viable economically. Same as dry stone walls. Lots of people now have no idea that farming practice of small enclosures and also just using up field stone was a reason parts of the country are covered with them. Same reasons there's distinct regional dialects and accents that used to vary between places just a few miles apart. People just didn't get out that much. Yarp. In the same way we have several generations of people around the planet that know what Grumpy Cat is etc (ad infinitum.... :-| ) Yet have no idea what the most familar trees growing around them are called.
People rock. :---)
They evoke responses in the modern mind of TV and the internet that might be quite different to when they were the only options.
You'd make a gate quickly I'm guessing. Smash it together to keep the chickens in before heading off to do the gartning for tha' Lady Cha rrtl'y up yonder in big house. Twice if yor fast on yor pins loike and so is she. etc etc etc etc
Oh. I'm all a quiver. :roll:

I'd still recommend googling 'cleaving break' to split the timber down the grain if you haven't seen it.
It works like magic. :D
Looking forward to some updates.
Sorry for going on a bit.
Best
Chris

Thanks Chris! I use my bench vice as a brake, not as traditional as a forked branch or bough but same principle. Works well!

I think if these were my own gates or just a rough job I probably wouldn't bother gluing or pegging them but as I'm being paid to make them and they're intended to be a gift I want to make sure they're extra solid. I might peg/wedge them as it'll look nice and provide some extra strength.

I would use draw bore pins and mortise and tenon joinery, it is still a surprisingly effective method, no clamps and no glue needed and the wood can move, make sure you post some pics of the gates when they are done! :D

Well, I got in touch with this guy: http://www.hampshirechestnut.co.uk/ a few weeks ago and last week he let me come down to his strip of woodland where I spent an hour or two wandering around with a bow saw. He was a very nice bloke and very knowledgable about sweet chestnut and its uses.

I started stripping the bark and sapwood yesterday so should have the pieces rived in a day or two but won't start cutting parts to size until gate posts at the address have been installed and I can take final measurements.

Back