First turning work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer Giles

The biggest tool in the box
Reaction score
Just completed a two day course with Mick Hanbury at Turner's Retreat near Doncaster. Very enjoyable, great facilities and Mick is a very enthusiastic, knowledgeable and skilful tutor.

Here's the products, definitely lots of room for improvement, but they are practise pieces but I'm pleased with them, I'll sand out the line you can see on the inside left of the bowl when I get chance ;)

Tool handle in Ash and bowl in Sycamore. Both finished with a bit of Yorkshire Grit then some Chestnut wood wax 22.

P1070225.jpg

P1070226.jpg

I already have a commission, the wife wants a dibber :)

I took advantage of the 10% off for students and Turner's retreat and bought a few bits including the Sorby deluxe sharpening jig for my grinder. So next jobs are to put a fingernail grind on some tools and to raise my Viceroy a few inches as it is a bit low as somebody suggested it may be, I think it was G_O :). Then make some shavings!

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1070225.jpg
    P1070225.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 764
  • P1070226.jpg
    P1070226.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 764
They both look great Andy. Isn't it wonderful converting a pretty crude lump of wood into something useful and elegant (written as a fellow newbie)? Good job, to my eye.

Thanks Chris :) Yes, it is very satisfying, I just need to keep the momentum up and make shavings rather than messing about with the tools :) I shall try and do some turning today, if its only 30 minutes.

Great start, I am sure you will become an addict to!!!
What I liked when I started was that in half hour I could actually make something, rather than weeks on a piece of furniture or similar. It never ceases to amaze me what can be inside an uninspiring piece of firewood at times.

Latest posts

Back