Best diy router lift ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
keithm":20axqvqv said:
I love this forum; already finding something new to learn every day and I have only been here for a week or so.
Many thanks to RogerP for pointing out the Triton router with the built-in router lift.
Spot on for my needs.
I plan to build my table saw in to a unit with a router table both using a common fence based on the Axminster Rip Fence.
The Triton router will make it much simpler.
However I did like the concept of the 'fly-by-wire' lift. Cheap and effective(?) and no need to put another hole in the insert.

+1 for Triton router

SammyQ":3ttp8tv2 said:
Screwpainting? I LIKE the original posting. Where we got our wires crossed, was when I commented on the other ejit, the one who starts his video with a facial close-up so near to him, individual nose hairs could be counted...

There is a shockin' amount of redneck wittering on Utube and it's largely done - as far as I can see - for the edification of the poster. AND a shockin' great whack of it is unsafe practice. Like you, I abhor the chequebook craftsman. I was brung up (in my first career as a photographer) by a sage old bloke whose motto was "Ain't what you got, it's how you use it". He had no time for showoffs and all the time in the world for competent, practical practioners of the art. Seconded. So, when I see barely concealed self-gratification (polite way of saying 'show-offs) I remember old Lennie Callan and think of what he said: "show'us yer work, not yersel".

Sam

Yeah the Americans and quite a few Canadian woodworkers on youtube make my rear end clench with some of the stuff they do, cutting twisted wood and worse with no riving knife and standing right behind the wood, just asking for a lethal kick back, whats really galling is when they are called on it, they retreat to insults, claims of "its perfectly safe if your not a limp wristed sissy", "I have years of experience" "I have more 'feel' without all that rubbish" "it aint happened yet" and pass on seriously bad and dangerous behaviours to those just starting out and justify those dangerous behaviours to others - I couldn't give a hoot if someone does it in their own shop and kills themselves, but on a job site where others are at risk...no way.

I have little or no spare cash, so I make do with what I have or I can borrow, when the opportunity comes where I have some spare cash to spend on a tool and its something I'll use a lot, I'll buy the best I can afford.

Can someone explain why have a router lift instead of just using the regular fine adjust know most routers can have?

Beau":1j7ikbk4 said:
Can someone explain why have a router lift instead of just using the regular fine adjust know most routers can have?
Router lifts allow you to adjust the height of the router without needing to reach beneath the table each time, either with a lever or a winder.

MattRoberts":2pnnsn53 said:
Beau":2pnnsn53 said:
Router lifts allow you to adjust the height of the router without needing to reach beneath the table each time, either with a lever or a winder.

Only that! Think I will continue to reach underneath. All the complications and possible play for basically nothing. Admit it might be nice with a massive table or if one had dodgy knees and bending down was difficult.

Some routers at up for a table also allow you to change the bit by raising the router to the top, saying you from having to detach the router in order to change bits

I have a trend T11 fitted with a muscle chuck it's brilliant but I believe the Triton works well ans is cheaper. I honestly don't know why anyone pays for an expensive lift when you have the Triton/T11 option and numerous DIY lifts .

Back