Which Router for a Homemade Router Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philc71

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a beginner more or less and I'm looking at building a router table, I'm interested in whether a 1/4 Router is ok for a router table or if I should really look at a 1/2 Router.

Ideally I don't want to spend over £100 for one and whilst I've been surfing ebay there doesn't seem like much to choose from so given I might end up buying a new Router which should I go for?

What's wrong with routers such as bosch pof 1200, Draper 20507?

Cheers,
Phil.

Depends on your definition of "ok".

A key factor is that you can use both 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch bits in a 1/2 inch router.

I'd concentrate more on the lift mechanism you're using. Do you need a router with a mechanism built in, or are you making one?

Yeah that's a good question, I had thought about simplicity and had seen ppl use car jacks

I'd actually argue that the simplest but more expensive option is something like a triton, with a built in mechanism, and that any diy solution will be more complex but cheaper. A half way house is something like a trim router where you can mount the base under the table and twist the router in its base to adjust the height, however you're limited to the low power of a 1/4 inch trim router.

If it were me, I'd be looking on ebay for a second hand triton TRA001 or MF001.

I have the Triton and it works ok in a table. But if I was going to do it again, I'd just buy a router motor like the one below and a DIY lift mechanism (probaly the one Jay Bates uses). It seems a waste to have a handheld router under the table, and more so, it takes up more space and has annoyances like the power mechanism, plunge mechanism and lock mechanism.

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworki ... ds+rtx5003

Screwfix have the baby one ( JOF001 ) which has above the table adjustment for £130 (ish). It's the 1Kw, ½”, 6mm and 12mm collets version. If you need the 1/4" collet you can pick one up for around £15 ...

I'm seriously considering this one for when I make my table.

This Link Clarke half inch is quite good, I have one; dust extraction is very good with a hose attached

I bought a second hand Trend router table for about £70 which is good enough for me
In the router table I have a Hitachi Link -- might be over your budget :(

Thanks all good replies, I'll consider all that and see what I can afford without upsetting my better half

The big Triton, plenty of power and ideal in a table. Remove the spring and it is easily adjusted from above. Only downside is it is bright orange and ugly. Also the quick raise knob means it can be raised easily for bit changes. There is also a muscle chuck available.

Roy

I managed to pick up a no name router table from one of the forum members a while ago and fixed a Triton TA0001 under the table by removing the base plate and, using the screws that I had removed, fixing it to the insert plate. I really do like the ability to raise the router from above the table by drilling a simple hole in the insert plate. The collet raises and locks allowing you to change bits from above the table. The router comes with a 1/2inch and 12mm collet, so you will have to buy a 1/4inch collet for £15 if you only have 1/4 inch bits.

I also have the Triton TRA001 fitted in my router table. Plenty powerful enough.

I had a MOF001 before which went up in flames after 6 months but Triton just offered a replacement and the option to pay the difference to upgrade to the TRA001 which I did.

Latest posts

Back