Label printers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnold9801

Established Member
Reaction score
I use my dymo letter label printer a lot in my workshop but it's started packing up and I think it's time to get a new one.
My only issue is that this particular model has a tendency to "jam."
Subsequently I have doubts it's wise to buy the same model again
Do any of you use a different label printer and one that you recommend over the one like I have?

Regards

I was about to recommend a Brother P1800 Ptouch machine but they were last made in 2000! But it's still going strong 18 years later, so
Brother might be an option.

Arnold9801":28y9y29d said:
I use my dymo letter label printer a lot in my workshop but it's started packing up and I think it's time to get a new one.
My only issue is that this particular model has a tendency to "jam."
Subsequently I have doubts it's wise to buy the same model again
Do any of you use a different label printer and one that you recommend over the one like I have?

Regards

I used Dymo for a while, never had any problems with it other than the nasty software. Replaced it with a Brother QL 720NW wireless model and it’s been excellent for the modest use we put it to. Really nice to be able to bang out a quick label from your phone with the Brother app, and it will take wide label rolls (60mm I think) if you need them.

Watching this with interest as I've got an aged Dymo "Letratag" machine (the thermal tape sort), and it jams for a pastime.

You can take a craft knife to the cartridges though - there's a dodgy piece of the plastic that's a too-sharp corner you can round off, or just pull an extra 5mm through manually before doing the next label. It's always done it and you have to wonder how Dymo didn't know (I bet they actually did and sold it anyway!).

You could try cleaning the rubber pinch roller too (they get glazed and slippery), but it's rather hard to get at. Ever so useful things though, as long as they work.

I'll have a look at the Brother range now :)

My wife runs a small postal business and uses a Dymo Labelwriter 450 duo. It takes postal labels and the sticky plastic dymo tape labels. She replaced a Brother one with this and it has been fine for several years.

We don't use Dymo labels though just use pattern ones and a fraction of the cost.

Mick

I use and i'm happy with the brother ptouch machines. Tze tapes in many sizes. Great for toolboxes, etc. I like 18mm tape for labelling workshop stuff and much prefer qwerty keyboard layout to alphabetical.

Ok... many Thanks for your responses. One fairly good point regarding the cheap Dymo (that is renowned for jamming) is that the cartridges are very cheap.

The Brother make seems widely used and have a positive opinion going by the responses, but how expensive are their cartridges??

Back