Your first car booty of the season

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ED65

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought it would be nice to see what people had picked up at their first sale(s) of the season.

I'll start. It's a bit early for car boots over here but on a weekend away we tried one and as feared it hadn't really gotten into full swing yet so slim pickings. But there were a few tools and I did manage to find a couple of things so the drive wouldn't be wasted.

AH22um5.jpg

Now I need another ratcheting flat-head screwdriver like I need a hole in the head but it was cheap and needed some love so I had to. It's a Draper, from back when the brand name stood for something; made for them by Schröder in West Germany and despite obviously having been used heavily the mechanism worked perfectly, just the button was a bit stiff.

The pliers were completely seized but I've had good luck with rusted-solid pliers, plus it looked an older style and was just €1 so thought it was worth the punt.

And for SWMBO:

rrTM9IB.jpg

The instruction on this was, "Make it look like it was new." but I knew I could do better than that on the varnish.

And the after pic:

rYntIit.jpg

The pliers freed up as expected but rust had taken its toll and they're now a bit too loose for my liking. Turns out it's very old, stamped James Blyde & Co. Sheffield inside one limb and 7 on the other, it's 1920s at latest and possibly from the late 19th century.

The 'after' results are impressive! What did you use to clean up the metal on the ratchet screwdriver? I've got a couple of tools kicking about in the same before condition that would benefit from being smartened up.

Thanks

Rockford

Thanks Rockford. Very standard stuff for the screwdriver, I think I started with a rub down using an abrasive block (same stuff as a Garryflex), then later once I had the drill set up with a wire wheel I got rid of the stubborn stuff.

Unusually for me I wanted to leave some patina on the blade so that was it. Normally I'd buff up the steel somewhat using polishing mops.

I suppose I should mention that the tip, as usual with old screwdrivers, had rounded corners etc. and needed to be filed back to shape, similar to this one. So although it doesn't show in the photo the facets on the tip are actually bright and contrast with the dark steel on the shaft.

What did you use on the handle of the ratcheting screwdriver to colour it black again, stain or paint?

It's oil-based enamel, multiple diluted coats. The one I use is from Poundland and it's much better paint than you'd expect. I also use it for repainting old Stanley planes, drills and spokeshaves and it has stood up well to use and handling.

On wood or metal I always apply the first coat heavily thinned, down to around about the consistency of milk, and successively lower dilutions as the coats progress. Last coat generally has only a couple of drops of white spirit added to about a half teaspoon of paint, just enough to loosen it up a bit.

Picked up this Stanley 4 1/2 plane at last weeks local boot sale. Didn't even attempt to get the buyer down from his £5 asking price. The fitted Stanley blade is full length and looks almost new.

Attachments

• Stanley_4_5.JPG
    Stanley_4_5.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,090
That looks in good, honest condition Rob. Any plans yet on how much you'll clean 'er up, or will it just get a honing and be put to work?

Just spotted it's a 4 1/2, nice one!

It's in really good nick and it looks like it's one of the war time batch as its got a really thick and heavy casting, the extra weight giving it a nice feel. In terms of clean up it'll be the usual sole flatten, fettle, sharpen blade, polish chipbreaker, and possibly strip and refinish the handles although they are not in bad condition so may skip that step.

Clean up on the pliers and driver are fantastic... first car bootsale tomorrow on your recommendation, I'll let you know if I find anything; then you'll be cursing me asking questions on how to tart it up!

I figure worst case scenario I get a bacon roll so not all bad!

TVM. Best of luck at the car boot later!

Here's a thread to look at early on when it comes to the question of how far to take the cleaning up: Re-commissioning old planes, what's worth your time?

In terms of actual tarting up, take this as far as you prefer. After all, you're the one that has to look at the thing every time you're in the workshop so it should look as you find pleasing, whether that's very original and covered in patina or polished to look better than new.

Nice Memzy! :)

This is my 'haul' from this morning... chuffed with the Record No6, no idea if any of it is any good but all dirt cheap so no sleep to be lost (paid £3 for the Record)

Also, check out my amazing flip flops :D

Not going to do anything with them for the moment... hopefully moving day is less than two weeks off, any suggestions on checking for bits etc welcome (or ideas on how to get them up to scratch!)

ngFGDZr.jpg

Great haul memzey, nice one. At least a half-dozen things there I would have snapped up myself, including the brayer and one or both of the hand drills.

Good job at your first car boot Graaz0r. £3 for the Record 06 is awesome =D>

That saw's a good 'un I think, should cut very well after sharpening. I can't quite tell but I think the irons in the coffin smoother are in backwards, if so when you get around to trying it don't put them back in that way round!

Graaz0r":2ijhxhlg said:

This is my 'haul' from this morning... chuffed with the Record No6, no idea if any of it is any good but all dirt cheap so no sleep to be lost (paid £3 for the Record)

Not going to do anything with them for the moment... hopefully moving day is less than two weeks off, any suggestions on checking for bits etc welcome (or ideas on how to get them up to scratch!)

ngFGDZr.jpg
That’s a very nice Record 06 Graaz0r. I can say that with some certainty as as you handed it to me to look at while we were stood at the same stall, at the Hertfordshire show ground car boot at about 11am this morning! Yes, I was that enormous oaf in the shorts :). In fact it may have been at the stall you got that back saw from which I nearly bought. You were really looking for a No. 5 but wouldn’t turn your nose up at a No. 06 for £3 if I recall correctly. Small world eh? No I didn’t notice the trendy footwear at the time 8)

ED65":2hp8nlmb said:
Great haul memzey, nice one. At least a half-dozen things there I would have snapped up myself, including the brayer and one or both of the hand drills.

Good job at your first car boot Graaz0r. £3 for the Record 06 is awesome =D>

That saw's a good 'un I think, should cut very well after sharpening. I can't quite tell but I think the irons in the coffin smoother are in backwards, if so when you get around to trying it don't put them back in that way round!
Thanks Ed. What’s a brayer? And you are correct about the iron being in the wrong way on that coffin smoother. Again I had it in my hands a few hours ago so I can say that with some confidence!

memzey":2zlf9ni6 said:
Graaz0r":2zlf9ni6 said:

ngFGDZr.jpg
That’s a very nice Record 06 Graaz0r. I can say that with some certainty as as you handed it to me to look at while we were stood at the same stall, at the Hertfordshire show ground car boot at about 11am this morning! Yes, I was that enormous oaf in the shorts :). In fact it may have been at the stall you got that back saw from which I nearly bought. You were really looking for a No. 5 but wouldn’t turn your nose up at a No. 06 for £3 if I recall correctly. Small world eh? No I didn’t notice the trendy footwear at the time 8)

Oh the flip flops are garden attire... Had some other rubbish on in the car boot!

Small world indeed and you played the 'whats this thing' card :lol:

Yeah was well chuffed with that, guy said 3 quid, wasn't even batering lol... Felt rude to bother ! :)

I've not been to herts showground for about ten or so years... I turned up at 8am like a mug haha, went to the one near Leighton buzzard for abit first then came back !

You must for fairly local then, careful or I'll stitch you up helping me sort it out :mrgreen:

Nice to (briefly) meet you anyway !

Nice. I have enough back saws to see me out otherwise I would of had that one too. I live in St. Albans and would be glad to help you sort the No. 6 out although I don’t think it will need too much. PM me if you’d like to catch up.

PS - I didn’t play any “what’s this thing” card! He must’ve had something I didn’t recognise?

memzey":1g51h5zp said:
Nice. I have enough back saws to see me out otherwise I would of had that one too. I live in St. Albans and would be glad to help you sort the No. 6 out although I don’t think it will need too much. PM me if you’d like to catch up.

PS - I didn’t play any “what’s this thing” card! He must’ve had something I didn’t recognise?

Ah nice, just in WGC myself, at the moment anyway!

Thanks for the offer, any help welcome I'll drop you a message in due course !

Oh sorry, must be getting muddled up on that then, Must be last night's beers !!

Small world!!

memzey, a brayer is another name for a roller, from the artsy fartsy side of things. Sometimes you can find the exact same product under different names depending on whether it's sold for ink spreading or for wallpapering.

Back