Record Power BS350S Bandsaw Modifications - Part 4: Rip Fence Upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Photo's show how it should look with the rails around the right way and the fence in the alternative position:

DSC01390.jpg

DSC01391.jpg

DSC01392.jpg

DSC01393.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• DSC01390.jpg
    DSC01390.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 2,483
  • DSC01391.jpg
    DSC01391.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 2,484
  • DSC01392.jpg
    DSC01392.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 2,486
  • DSC01393.jpg
    DSC01393.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 2,484
Looks very good, saw that fence at £99 price and considered to buy it for my table saw...too late but still not very expensive for a ts fence.

Can the extrusion be mounted on the left side?

Yes it can, but the plastic rear fence guide will be at the wrong end of the fence so will have to be moved, you can see it on the second picture above.

Mike

Did not mention that moving the plastic fence guide is only a matter of loosening off a cross head screw and moving the guide along the track, so an easy thing to do.

Mike

I have asked Axminster for an additional fixing bracket for the front rail, Axminster bandsaws have the table slot for blade removal at the side, the Record Power BS350 I am fitting it to has the slot facing the fence rail (see photo on page one) I am going to fix the rail to the existing holes in the table which are both on one side of the blade removal slot, the extra bracket will be on the far end of the rail, but not fixed to the table so it can be slid off for blade changing without disturbing the rail alignment, the reason for this is to ensure when using the fence on the outside of the blade locking the fence in place it will prevent an excessive bending moment on the fence rail, in case anyone is interested the additional fixing bracket is parts Nos F13, F15 and F16.

Mike

Fitting the de-lux version was no drama to the Record Power BS350, the existing holes in the table can be utilised for the fence guide rail, only problem is the two rather large knobs fitted to the bottom of the angle fixing brackets prevent the opening of the bottom door to allow blade changes, I have substituted a different T bolt and knob to get over this problem.

Mike

Having used this now for a day or two, my comments are as follows:

The guide bearings on the main cross piece allow movement of the fence prior to it being locked in place, this makes accurate position initially difficult until you have the tapes fitted in place, even though the bearings have adjustment the ends of the carrying rod are metal and rub on the fence rail, I have fitted two large polypropylene washers between the bearings and the rail to overcome this metal to metal rubbing.

The fence is big, laid down in its minimum cut thickness position restricts the size of material that can be cut.

In the upright position the guides are a long way off the table fro re-sawing, perhaps I was too used to the cute little Record Power fence.

On the plus side once positioned and locked in place this fence is rock solid and I feel a good upgrade from the standard fence.

Mike

I see this fence has dropped in price again £94.96 as of today.

Mike

The original wheels on the mobile chases for this bandsaw are not up to the job, also the inside plate they fit on is only supported on one side and bends so after a while the wheel supports distort so much that they constantly need adjustment to the lifting mechanism, time to do something about it.

Original.jpg

More substantial castors, now the bandsaw can move in any direction and lifts about 4mm, much better.

Band saw wheels.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• Original.jpg
    Original.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 2,232
  • Band saw wheels.jpg
    Band saw wheels.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 2,234
Hi. I just bought a second hand bs300e today but it doesn't have a fence. Does anyone have a spare?

Thanks

Tom

TomTheToolMan":dygzsr9j said:
Hi. I just bought a second hand bs300e today but it doesn't have a fence. Does anyone have a spare?

Thanks

Tom

Tom, If it fits, for the cost of postage from Germany, you can have the stock fence assembly that came with my BS350S bandsaw. The mounting studs that hold the rail to the saw table are about 180mm apart.

Hi

That would be amazing. I think it is the same fence so should go straight on. I checked parcel2go and can get it collected pretty cheap so definitely worth doing. I can arrange courier from here if you can give me dimensions, weight and collection address. not sure how to contact you off forum to arrange

Thanks again

Tom

do you still have the old fence of your record power bs 350 as mine was stolen from my workshop if you still have it would you sell it thanks for you time steve liverpool

boschboy":rcifuqd9 said:
do you still have the old fence of your record power bs 350 as mine was stolen from my workshop if you still have it would you sell it thanks for you time steve liverpool

Sorry, but no. I sent it to Scotland.

Steve, did you replace your fence yet? If not, I have an excellent deal for you.

no low on funds at the moment as i had to replace the cast iron table as that what smashed in the robbery just looking on ebay see if somethink pops up cheap

no low on funds at the moment as i had to replace the cast iron table as that what smashed in the robbery just looking on ebay see if somethink pops up cheap
I bought the Sabre 350 upgrade fence and it arrived yesterday. If I like it, I'll give you my Axminster fence. If I don't like it, I'll give you the Sabre fence. :)

Hi there

I have the axminster fence on my table saw and it is very rigid without anything holding it at the far end. I am pleased to see Mike has attached it to his bandsaw with fittings at each end of the rail rather than the way Record uses two fixings at one end as in the picture as it provides maximum rigidity for the fence and it can easily be used either side of the blade when tilting the table as it just lifts off. I will post some pictures of the Kreg fence once I have that installed on my BS400 bandsaw.

Back