freud fail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to throw more things at you Bob, but :

Have you checked that the arbor is true? It might be causing the blade to wobble.

Given that there isn't much else you can do with the table surface (apart from laying a new Alu top as suggested previously), the only other purchase I can think of that would make a difference without breaking the bank is to buy a new fence. Assuming the fence won't attach easily to your saw, it would need you to build a surround for your saw, and then attach the fence to that instead of the saw's table top. Fiddly, I know, but short of importing a new saw at huge cost, it might give you the biggest accuracy jump for your buck

Oh, you've got one of those :(

They really do have a reputation of being inaccurate. Personally, I'd pull the top off and simply use it as a motor to drive the blade. I'd then lay a new phenolic mdf top and attach an after market fence power my previous post.

Or I'd stick a new table saw plus import on the credit card and suffer paying it back! :D

Oh, you've got one of those :
NOW you see why Its just not worth the hassle. I suspect the arbour does have a wobble, but as its geared from the motor shaft fixing it is again uneconomical.

Once I get rid of the backlog of "roundtooits" i might put it up for sale, and put what I can get to offset a new bigger one. Silly thing is the missus is very supportive of my boxes (we have three on the sideboard), and has said i can spend the money. I just need to work myself up to it.

I know Phil, she's a keeper (46 years so far, warranty has run out now).

I'm wavering, I would love something like a wadkin, but I really dont have room for a big saw.
I want a cast iron top because I'm sick of wavy ali castings.
i want a 10" blade for the very rare times I need to cut a deep bit of timber.
I want a fence that will slide easily but be square at all times.
but I mostly want accuracy without a 30 minute set up on each cut.
If proxxon made their table saw about three times bigger, that would be for me.

Going to have to make a decision soon now.

The blade you bought is a cross cut blade and will not give good results ripping hard wood on any saw that you have convinced yourself you need.

The freud is giving me a finish that I can accept (just), but the saw has so many faults and so much slop that the blade cant do itself justice. In between the deep cuts caused by the wobbles, the wood is much smoother than I have ever achieved before.

Back