Mates Rates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been the victim of the mates rate trap so often I have now stopped offering my services. I am semi retired and do the craft markets to supplement the pension. I got the impression I was an easy target for people who wanted something for nothing and thought it I had nothing else better to do. The other problem I had was requests to make things because people thought they would get something on the cheap.

My good nature has been abused and I will not be available in future. I am sorry for the few genuine people but enough is enough.

Smithy

Try being an artist or musician - People expect you to perform/work for free at their event/pub/party, claiming that they're giving you valuable publicity and you should be grateful for the favour they're doing YOU!!

Mates Rates are just that - For your mates. Everyone else agrees price up front, or doesn't get any work done.

Tasky":3re2up3a said:
Try being an artist or musician - People expect you to perform/work for free at their event/pub/party, claiming that they're giving you valuable publicity and you should be grateful for the favour they're doing YOU!!

Mates Rates are just that - For your mates. Everyone else agrees price up front, or doesn't get any work done.

many people also don't realise that some musicians DO get paid, and it's also a profession for some, they can't seem to take this in, I blame amateurs who are (just like woodworking) willing to work for free, there's an almost infinite amount of young vain musicians willing to play for free, no wonder we're treated like rubbish. 'good luck with your hobby pal, get a REAL job'

thetyreman":2heqaiui said:
I blame amateurs who are (just like woodworking) willing to work for free, there's an almost infinite amount of young vain musicians willing to play for free,

I am an amateur musician but I'm not vain and I'm certainly not young and I am happy to play for free. Usually once a month we play in any pub willing to have us and all for FREE. We also play for old people's homes, summer fetes and at charity events.
We don't charge because we enjoy what we do and, with ten in the band, we couldn't charge enough to make it worthwhile.
I will carry on doing this for as long as I can no matter how much of a tizz you get into. It's a competitive world for everybody. If you don't like it, don't do it.

p.s What has this got to do with Mates Rates?

thetyreman":15onfely said:
I blame amateurs who are (just like woodworking) willing to work for free
Were it lone incidents, then perhaps... But most commonly I encountered this my own self, from venues who only just the previous night had paid musicians performing. You pay them, you can pay me, especially since we have to supply and maintain things like all our own sound & lighting kit!!

It's just the venue owners trying it on.
We mostly ended up getting repeat bookings and word of mouth.

whiskywill":15onfely said:
In this context, it's another case of people (who usually are anything but your mates) taking the mick and trying to take advantage, especially of something that isn't your full-time job.

Tasky":1uyzpyk8 said:
thetyreman":1uyzpyk8 said:
I blame amateurs who are (just like woodworking) willing to work for free
Were it lone incidents, then perhaps... But most commonly I encountered this my own self, from venues who only just the previous night had paid musicians performing. You pay them, you can pay me, especially since we have to supply and maintain things like all our own sound & lighting kit!!

It's just the venue owners trying it on.
We mostly ended up getting repeat bookings and word of mouth.

whiskywill":1uyzpyk8 said:
In this context, it's another case of people (who usually are anything but your mates) taking the mick and trying to take advantage, especially of something that isn't your full-time job.

That, I agree, is not on. When we play in a pub, we choose when, and its almost always on a Wednesday evening, which is our practice night, and being all acoustic with only occasionally a PA for the singer, we don't care if they have a paid band or solo musician on a Weekend night. Similarly, for other venues it's a case of take what we can offer. If only half the band are available, as long as there is a workable balance between instruments, we are happy to oblige.
So our circumstances are rather different.

I do a lot for mates but I reckon I've had more back. Very rarely do I feel people are taking advantage. I like people and genuinely feel most people I associate with will pay me back in kind at somepoint.

doctor Bob":3b4khuzl said:
I do a lot for mates but I reckon I've had more back. Very rarely do I feel people are taking advantage. I like people and genuinely feel most people I associate with will pay me back in kind at somepoint.
I did quite a lot of small free jobs and always gave advice free when I had my business as my view was what goes around comes around. It worked for me in the vast majority of cases but there were a few who really tried to take a lend though I never let them do it more than once. Strangely those were the same people who were slow in paying and one who got extensive advice from me then gave the job to someone else. He had the cheek to come back to me when they made a mess of it and was offended when I refused. #-o

Another strange statistic is that all of them were affluent, in the financial industry and........ Scottish. :lol:

I have absolutely nothing against the Scotts btw, several close friends are Scottish and the only time we don't see eye to eye are when England play Scotland at football or rugby. :wink:

Back