Glue up clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
can anyone recommend some decent clamps for panels upto 500mm across
I have plenty of sash clamps but a bit overkill for smaller jobs
reasonably priced as I would like quite a few of them

Steve

I have just had four of these delivered- Hatagane Japanese Bar Clamps from Dieter Schmid. for much the same work as i find Sash or Pipe clamps can be too heavy for some of my smaller glue ups . Very impressed with them- light weight and good clamping force.

I have a dozen of these brass bar clamps in 12" length. Handy for small glue ups. Didn't know they came bigger but i'd recommend them too. Durable and don't rust.

Since it's up to a maximum of 500mm across a clamping board might be suitable for you, similar to what luthiers use when bonding the two parts of instrument backs.

SteveF":nw2ol0l8 said:
can anyone recommend some decent clamps for panels upto 500mm across
I have plenty of sash clamps but a bit overkill for smaller jobs

Is it because the panels are very thin? For anything thicker than about 10 or 12mm your sash cramps are the traditional, and ideal, tool for the job. Personally I still use regular sash cramps right down to 8mm thick drawer bottoms.

I went with some 600mm bessey gearklamps, I think they will be handy for kitchen carcass work as well (when I get around to building it)
I have plenty of sash clamps but just a bit bulky for my small workshop when doing lots of panels
I keep looking at pipe clamps as an alternative (i can just cut a few down shorter)
no-one seems to do short sash clamps apart from silverline, and that is a NO NO
I suppose I could get some decent ones and take an angle grinder to them

Steve

What about the clamp heads that you attach to any length of wood you like
Neil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Neil S":2mhk5toe said:
What about the clamp heads that you attach to any length of wood you like
Neil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

That's what I use most on small stuff. A good compromise between stiffness and light weight.

Back