Katsu router (again).

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ Bodgers.
My oppo has a Makita 700F with all the accessories he could get in the UK and the bearing guide kit that is sold in Australia. After i got the Katsu we tried all the parts and they are interchangeable. he has since bought a couple of Katsi (? plural) as well. the differences as purely cosmetic as far as we can see

I can also confirm that the bases are interchangeable, I purchased the katsu full kit, the plunge and angle base have been used on my makita with no problem

Followed Will's link, bought one, excellent !

The motor unit is cleanly machined and it spins up very smoothly.
Standard fixed base is entirely usable with a well fitting hose adapter.
Fences OK but the little roller on the follower unit was not drilled dead centre so i'll need to make a new one if I ever use it.

No complaints. Best value tool i've bought in a while.

After a long time procrastinating I ordered one of these the other day. I have always bought the best that I can afford and I never buy "cheap" I love tools and enjoy buying them and to be honest I was going to buy the Bosch palm router but then I found out that they don't accept guide bushes.
My little Katsu was delivered yesterday I opened it and put it to work straight away and I am blown away, it's amazing, the motor is quiet and well balanced, great value for money. I'm going to order more of them one with a round over bit, one with a chamfer cutter an one with a trim flush bit permanently In each.

Just my two pennies worth, this is a great little router. I purchased mine from Aim tools - who are extremely nice and helpful - as well as the plunge base as my first router. Well impressed with it even in my limited capacity as a novice wood worker :shock: Just about to order another ;)

OWK :eek:ccasion5:

I had a Katsu and managed to burn out the motor. Probably my fault.
I replaced it with the Makita and to suggest that the build quality is identical is not accurate. The Makita has different electronics in the top and generally the machining has a nicer finish to it. The materials feel different too.

Overall the Makita is a better made product. They may come out of the same factory, but the difference is more than just the label stuck on the outside.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

This is true but having examined the makita after buying the Katsu, I suspect the Katsu is providing 90% of the value at well under half the price.
I would be interested to know if the Makita collets are different and if they are interchangeable. The Katsu collet is OK but I would expect a higher quality collet for my money on the Makita.

Back