salvaged wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dellbert

Reaction score
Hello
i have the chance of a regular supply of what appears to be hardwood 4x4 by approx 8 feet long , its been used as packaging but is good and straight square with a good finish , ideal for some garden projects or smaller ones .
Problem is it comes with broken nails or screws in it probably every 24 inches .
They are broken flush so need to be drilled out , any advice on maybe a small hole saw type drill to do the job as i can plug the holes afterwards .

cheers

Bahco 38.

It's not a silver bullet. Rusted in nails on hardwood will snap before they pull, but some denailing jobs are made very simple with one. It depends on how far gone your part is.

I've got a cheaper version of the Bahco 38. They are brilliant but they won't pull screws (obviously) and there is a bit of a knack to using them - the hammer action in the handle etc.
Expensive but could pay it's way quite quickly if you recycle enough used material.
I think they were probably invented for the military - who would have transported a lot of stuff in wooden packing cases, to be re-used as often as possible.

PS mine looks the same as eezageeza's above. Also known as 'parrot beak' or 'slide hammer' nail puller

PPS rusted in nails - it sometimes helps to knock them in a bit further - this can break the bond and make them easier to pull out, better to dig them out rather than have them snap off.

I purchased mine used via eBay. I think it was about GBP 30 delivered.

They're strong tools. So long as the beak hasn't been destroyed, then there is no need to spend 80 quid.

If the nails are broken off flush then I suspect no nail puller will work without a degree of 'excavation' first.

Plug cutters may help although it's obviously going to depend on how deep the nail is! A number of these may help https://www.axminster.co.uk/search/?q=plug%20cutters&nR

Make sure you get one that has a corresponding cutter to the outside diameter for plugging after.

The parrots beak 'self excavates' up to a point and will pull out headless nails - once you have the knack of using it. The hammer in the handle locks it tight but it is definitely a knack which you have to learn by practice.
If not I'd dig out with a narrow chisel fore and aft along the grain either side of the nail, until I could get the parrot back in.

I bought a cheap version similar to the Bahco 38 for getting nails out of floor boards so I could lift them without too much damage. It worked excellently some of the time and other times I gave up due to the damage to the board. I could never work out what caused the difference.

Back