Persuant to Dalboy's Request - Show us your Turnings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cordy

Established Member
Reaction score
Dalboy's Link
Here is my work in progress; as mentioned on another thread my first Lathe and Bandsaw effort

Started off as 4" x 4" redwood
qWtkN64h.jpg

4WieVZph.jpg

nfgO7vth.jpg

Oak base pieces: 3 mm thick steel squares for top of legs to underside of table
51lqOS0h.jpg

Oak Base pieces shaped provisionally with new Bandsaw; my first bandsaw cuts -- only bought B/S last week

Provisional mock-up
Y4rAv4Kh.jpg

Walnut table top is 40 pieces of 0.8" sticks
With some water sprayed on to give idea of finish
NsoFjK8h.jpg

All parts will get a thorough sanding/filing etc before some stain and finish

You have managed to get them looking the same which is good. Try to complete the uprights while they are on the lathe as that will be much easier. The whole project is looking good. Will wait to see when it is completed ad thank you for posting.

Progress
Mixed Fiddes Spirit dye Plum Mahogany with Tung oil and thinners
V89eyfxh.jpg

QOZ7PoMh.jpg

The top will be the underside of table; testing mix ratios
M44DuSEh.jpg

The metal plates may be an overkill but the top sits on level
7ZRbzqeh.jpg

vDFhfo4h.jpg

Pocket holes and Domino Dowels secure the base
QTuZ6vJh.jpg

Progress, the uprights and base have Morrells red Mahogany dye followed by Tung oil/White Spirit
Table top likewise but Mahogany dye
pYCzaBoh.jpg

3HeYdkgh.jpg

With a small Goblet they helped me to make at Wigan Woodturners Club last night
PxuT4FJh.jpg

More like the actual colour in this shot
ffBk5U3h.jpg

More Tungoil/Thinners tomorrow then finish off with Briwax

The last picture looks better for colour. I see you have found the down side of staining some bits like the uprights where you end up with light coloured lines around the piece. Not your fault but the way the wood takes on the stain due to the shape

Is there anything to correct the light banding stain ?
The high points and the low don't go as dark
Extra stain doesn't seem to have much effect
The uprights are Redwood

If you try to darken something by several shades you would need to use a top coat with colour in it. The problem with a dye is that it sinks into some woods quite evenly but not others even when the wood is flat - softwoods being notorious for uneven colouring. This is exaggerated on turnery as the grain goes from long in some places to quite short in others so the absorption is much different.

Practicing wood-turning
Small Beech goblet
rWgozNkh.jpg

Small plate is Poplar
SMHiOA6h.jpg

This fruit-bowl is a failure so far;
jumped off the lathe while turning :(
A lump was knocked out on impact with the concrete floor
It's about 7 inch diameter by 4 inches high
ANMAL4zh.jpg

Might try to fix it on Monday

Cordy shame about the second one but as you say that can be remounted and finished so not all is lost like the little goblet and it is hard making thing so small as it shows any tool marks.

Phil.p nice looking goblet can I suggest starting a fresh post when showing pieces as people will tend to look at it more.
The only thing with the goblet that may help in the future is to sand the little piece off on the base in the centre and blend it to the rest of the foot. You will feel better about the piece as well, I know I do when I clean up the little bits and pieces. What I use is a small disc like the Sinon Hope ones from his sanders and fit that into a drill press and then clean any little stubs off, you could just use a drill but with the press it eaves both hands free to hold the piece with

Back