Tips & Tricks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
A pack of 4 long handled spoons from the £1 shop. Ideal for scooping out the shavings from a hollow form.
Tip 001 - Spoons.jpg

Grind away the top edge to make it smaller & drill a hole in the handle to hang it up.

Attachments

• Tip 001 - Spoons.jpg
    Tip 001 - Spoons.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 4,808
To blow out the shavings from a hollow form whilst keeping your eyes & nose out of the line of fire use a few inches of flexible tube which fits tightly over some solid tube.
Tip 002 - Blower.jpg

Or make an organ blower. Basically a large bicycle pump used to blow the dust out of organ pipes in the days before electricity. Very handy for cleaning down the lathe if you haven't got a compressor. I've made several for other wood turners.
The body is 63mm rainwater down pipe with piston, piston rod, handle & end caps turned on the lathe.
Tip 003a - Organ Blower - Internal.jpg

The handle endcap has four entry holes for air.
The piston seal is a piece of leather. It has to have a one way valve to allow it to seal on the push stroke but allow air through on the return. It consists of a flap cut in the leather to cover a hole in the piston.
Tip 003b - Organ Blower Flap.JPG

The organ blower was a tip printed in the Good Wood Working magazine (July 1994)

Attachments

• Tip 002 - Blower.jpg
    Tip 002 - Blower.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 4,697
  • Tip 003a - Organ Blower - Internal.jpg
    Tip 003a - Organ Blower - Internal.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 4,697
  • Tip 003b - Organ Blower Flap.JPG
    Tip 003b - Organ Blower Flap.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 4,695
Lathe dust collection made from rainwater fittings & a plastic sweet jar. Connects to a shop vac.

Lathe Dust Collection 2.jpg

Lathe Dust Collection 1.jpg

Attachments

• Lathe Dust Collection 2.jpg
    Lathe Dust Collection 2.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 4,549
  • Lathe Dust Collection 1.jpg
    Lathe Dust Collection 1.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 4,548
An easy to make holder to stop your tools rolling off the lathe. Drill a line of holes in a batten then cut down the length. A batten underneath is used as a stop - or a pair to straddle the bed.
Tip 004 - Tool Holder.jpg

The tool handle was made from beech taken from a kneeling stool, hence the dowel tenons. I'll bet there's not another one like it. :)

Attachments

• Tip 004 - Tool Holder.jpg
    Tip 004 - Tool Holder.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 4,423
Great post. Thanks for taking the time to put this up. Perhaps the start of a really interesting thread.

I’ll take some photos may be but my tip is to buy a couple of cheap roller blinds to mount around the lathe. Then, when roughing etc and the chips are flying everywhere, you can pull them down to make a mess space and save having to clear up the whole workshop and every surface at the end.

Robbo3":3p9bodlb said:
An easy to make holder to stop your tools rolling off the lathe. Drill a line of holes in a batten then cut down the length. A batten underneath is used as a stop - or a pair to straddle the bed.

The tool handle was made from beech taken from a kneeling stool, hence the dowel tenons. I'll bet there's not another one like it. :)

I need to make one of these!

SVB":2udpe12t said:
I’ll take some photos may be but my tip is to buy a couple of cheap roller blinds to mount around the lathe. Then, when roughing etc and the chips are flying everywhere, you can pull them down to make a mess space and save having to clear up the whole workshop and every surface at the end.
That was going to be a tip for the future but now that you've brought it up, I use roller blinds attached to the front of shelves to protect them from shavings & dust.
My main protection is a shower curtain surrounding the lathe on three sides. It's a snug fit for one person because of where it's positioned but I have no other fixing points for it. One of the downsides of using a concrete sectional garage as a workshop.
There is also another roller blind further back which I can lower if there are two of us in attendance.

Chuck Removal Wedges.

Although called chuck removal wedges they are ideal for many other jobs such as removing the tips from a live centre where the gap is too small even for the supplied removal tool.
Of course they are excellent for removing tight morse taper items in the lathe or pillar drill. Available in 1,2 & 3 Morse Taper sizes.
- http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue ... dges---NEW
Tip 007 - Wedges.jpg

Attachments

• Tip 007 - Wedges.jpg
    Tip 007 - Wedges.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 4,234
Sanding disk made from Corian (thanks Chrispy). Stepped so that it fits whichever chuck happens to be in use at the time. A self stick velcro pad enables standard 3" hook & loop disks to be used & swapped easily.

Tip 008 - Sanding Disk & Cleaner.jpg

To clean the disks, laying on the bed is a tube of clear silicone which has been allowed to solidify. I use it as it is but there's no reason why it couldn't be cut into smaller pieces.

Attachments

• Tip 008 - Sanding Disk & Cleaner.jpg
    Tip 008 - Sanding Disk & Cleaner.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 4,070
Use cling film to stop wood drying out too quickly.

Tip 009 - Cling Film.jpg

I call this mini pallet wrap but it can be called various names. 10 rolls & an applicator are £14 on ebay. I've been using these for about 3 years & I'm only on my third roll.
Mini pallet wrap

Attachments

• Tip 009 - Cling Film.jpg
    Tip 009 - Cling Film.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 3,930
Some great tips here. All relatively easy to achieve but they hadn't occurred to me! Thanks for sharing them.

I use lubricating wax on all steel surfaces and my tools and chucks to keep rust at bay over the damp months, coupled with a cheap second hand de humidifier, workshop stays damp and rust free. Cheap second hand curtains from a charity shop easily hung around work space again to catch chips and debris. A mechanics garage trolley keeps all the frequently used stuff right beside me and is easy to wheel out of the way when not required, also gives additional storage space. Old washing machine motor transformed into a 10" disk sander, been using this for 18 years and still going strong. And have just discovered Yorkshire Grit, brilliant stuff....... =D>

Brushes.
I've started using synthetic brushes for applying sanding sealer, whether acrylic, cellulose or shellac, mainly because I've found that not only are they are easier to clean than other types but they are usable between sessions & of course they are cheap.

Tip 011 - Brushes.jpg

If I used lots of sanding sealer, I would hot melt glue a brush into the lid of the container.

Attachments

• Tip 011 - Brushes.jpg
    Tip 011 - Brushes.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 3,679
Magnets

Tip 012 - Magnets.jpg

I use magnets all over the workshop. On the tail stock are a 150mm rule, a set of dial calipers, (they require a larger magnet because of their weight). A paintbrush with embedded magnets in both sides of the handle, because it can be hung from anything metal & it normally lives on the drill press. Another paintbrush lives on a head stock magnet & the pencil has a countersunk magnet screwed onto its end ... so that it never gets lost in the shavings.
All the magnets are attached with a spot of superglue so that they stay put & don't come away with the tool.

Attachments

• Tip 012 - Magnets.jpg
    Tip 012 - Magnets.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 3,536
Dial Calipers
Tip 014 - Dial Calipers.jpg

Very useful for accurate measurement especially if your eyesight isn't as good as it used to be.
The bottom two measure 10mm for one turn of the needle with each small mark being one tenth of a millimetre - more than accurate enough for any type of woodwork. The nylon ones are for general use & the metal ones for use on the lathe. One word of warning, round off the sharp corners of the internal legs if you use them on rotating wood.

The top pair measure in 64ths for the odd time when I need imperial & saves making a mistake with the size conversion.

The second pair from the top measure 5mm per rotation, which although more accurate, you have to take great care to see if the needle is in the 0-5 or 6-10 range.

Attachments

• Tip 014 - Dial Calipers.jpg
    Tip 014 - Dial Calipers.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 3,384
Not so much to do with wood turning but helpful if you get stuck.
Wing nut socket.
Tip 006 - Wing Nut Socket.jpg

The core of the socket has to be wide enough to accept the centre of the wingnut. I think this was 13mm. Cut the slots with a hacksaw or angle grinder.
Of course you could use a pair of pliers but sometimes there's not enough room or the nuts may be rusted solid, as toilet seat bolts sometimes are, The socket allows much more torque.
BTW, I didn't sacrifice one from my best socket set, I bought it specially. :)

Attachments

• Tip 006 - Wing Nut Socket.jpg
    Tip 006 - Wing Nut Socket.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 1,719
As I get older I no longer have the feel or the strength of grip that I used to have. To that end I have a selection of holding devices along with ordinary/long nose pliers & mole grips. Now I can grip a thread to wire brush it (wire brush fitted to grinder) or chamfer the end or even shorten it.
The third pair from the left are sold as stainless steel fishing pliers but are useful because of the narrowness of the blades & the right hand pair are for seperating split links.

Tip 010 - Pliers.jpg

I also have (not in photo) a small length of 6mm thick metal bar which has been drilled & tapped from M3 to M10. Makes holding a bolt to cut it to length so much easier. If it protrudes too far, thread a nut on first & use it to lock the bolt against the bar.

Attachments

• Tip 010 - Pliers.jpg
    Tip 010 - Pliers.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 1,676
Post should be called Woodworking Life Hacks. Going to be following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back