Stanley 71 - Too far gone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerP":95406npj said:
Orraloon":95406npj said:
As the others have said it should scrub up fine. The handles will need to come off first and I would lean towards a simple soak in vinegar to remove the rust. I am always afraid that electrolysis may get overdone. As to cost I would pass it by at much over 20 quid unless it has all the parts. 3 Cutters, depth stop and side fence.
My one was in about that state when I first got it but it did have all the parts. Mine actually has some ugly pitting on the sole but that does not affect it's use. A very useful tool to have.
Regards
John
Only iron oxide is removed and the good metal underneath is not affected.- even if you leave it in there for a month. :)
Happy to stand corrected. I may even give electrolysis a go sometime.
The thing that held me back from it before was seeing boat propellers that had turned to Swiss cheese.
Regards
John

Afaik, most boat propellors are bronze, so you may have seen de-zincification, which wouldn't be a problem on cast iron tools.

That probably isn't too far gone as long as you don't force it to turn/unscrew. I agree that electrolysis is probably the most effective way of cleaning and freeing it up - low impact etc. I bought a Stanley 71 last week on ebay and was pleasantly surprised that my bid of £62 won. The price is still crazy but I just wanted one!! Need and want are two different things. It is in great condition - a touch of oil and a cutter sharpening is all that was needed. If yours cleans up and works properly, I would imagine that today's crazy market might enable you to get £45-£60.

Latest posts

Back