Starrett

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
custard":240r25kz said:
My apologies, I stand corrected, on the Starrett website it's clear there is some Chinese manufacturing, doesn't seem to relate to anything a woodworker might use though.

My Starrett try square is made in China...

Bodgers":3jt5k9up said:
True, but I'm pretty happy with this one - it is bang on square.

Yes, but how long will these China made squares remain square. As we all know, quality control varies a lot in China.

John

For now I only have a cheap 12" Stanley combo square that I've fettled as best I can to be knife-cut accurate using the flip-method.

I might get a proper Starrett or similar brand one day, but so long as it's accurate enough for what I'm doing... both what work and how accurately I can work - No point in quarter-thou accuracy over 20 yards, if I can't physically cut to a straight line in the first place!!

But really, so long as you can square the square up (which you should be able to do anyway, in case you drop it or something, IMO), I don't think it matters that much...

John15":2z56aho5 said:
Bodgers":2z56aho5 said:
True, but I'm pretty happy with this one - it is bang on square.

Yes, but how long will these China made squares remain square. As we all know, quality control varies a lot in China.

John

If they own the factory, little will change. If they source the squares and don't have someone on the ground *and* don't check the squares before shipping them, they could be variable.

phil.p":2xt2fq9o said:
My post disappeared into the ether once again. If you've an hour to waste this is worth watching, although their stuff sold in his Country is Chinese afaik.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7JqXbm-Nwo

Here in the states, Starrett sold without "made in USA" was outsourced to the Pacific Rim. Starrett found quickly, through falling sales, that was not a good move and about 5 or 6 years ago, returned manufacturing to the US. For reference, all Starrett made in the US, is marked as such, and there is still quite a bit of Starrett goods floating out there that was outsourced.

I did buy a 24" blade for my Starrett combination square head, that was outsourced, and it matched identically (at least through 12") to the existing blade. Was brand new, bought at a "flea market" for $10.00.

Dont think you can go far wrong with Starrett, Moore and Wright or Mitutoyo adjustable squares. Got the Moore and Wright myself but never heard anyone complain about the others either.

phil.p":10ynt932 said:
Tony, is that all manufacturing or just for what's sold on your market? Do you know?

Can't truthfully answer! I do know for certain, if Starrett is made in the US, it is marked "Made in the USA", and I was told by an engineer with the company, that the only thing to identify Starrett not made in the US, is if there are no markings stating where the item was made.

I have the "cut-down" student Starrett 6"/150mm combination square.
It is the most affordable in their range, brilliantly accurate and can fit into an apron pocket easily for quick access. I use it all the time with absolute confidence.

Back