Problems cutting squarely

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I had another go, applying most of the advice (I didn't cut a mm off of the line, as I didn't want to have plane that mm away, and for the current cuts exact length isn't an issue) to 2 cuts, and the result is much improved! In fact, one of them I don't think I'll have to plane at all.

I changed a lot of variables all at once, but I think that the thing that made the big difference was turning the wood several times. I first made a cut maybe 1cm deep on each side, before completing the cuts, and I think those grooves helped me keep the blade pointing the right way. It also probably helps that I also turned the wood 3 or so more times while completing the cut, so rather than having the full error from one direction, I only had half of it from both directions.

So, it should all be downhill from here, until I get to the point where I need to make tenons that fit my mortices :)

Thanks again for all the advice!
Wend

Been following this thread a bit, as I also can't saw straight. I tend to wander out to the right, resulting in a curved face. I changed saws several times, but still the same problem.
However, I find that if I randomly just cut a length off a bit of wood (ie 30" off a 16' length), it will usually be dead straight. I did this just last night, twice in fact - Put the square up just to see and blow me if both cuts weren't square in both directions... bang-on to within at least 1/64th.
No idea what I do or how I do it, though I'm not quite prepared to just go at it with a saw on the cuts that precision...

My cuts tend to drift to the right (although it results in a slope rather than a curve) and so I always ensure that the waste is on the right. One thing that has really helped though is watching the reflection of the edge - at right angles to the cut line - in the saw plate: if the reflected edge is a straight continuation of the real edge, then you're sawing straight. Keeping an eye on that should help you reduce the degree of error.

It maybe that the set is more on one side than the other. To correct this run a sharpening stone along the teeth on the side your blade is drifting toward and this should correct your cut.

John

Back